Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Sorry to hear OP..

My brother had a very similar accident which broke his also. He called Apple, got the normal great service. They had the store sell him another. The phone must be in a case, it's just too slippery.

I'm taking a big risk with mine, no case, I hate a case.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
True, without pictures it never happened. So evidence attached :)

It looks worse in the photo as the top layer is still there holding it all in place.

Strange place for a crack to happen. Take it into Apple and see what they say. You may be surprised.

(Before anyone freaks, no, not recommending lying about it, just take it in and see what they tell you).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
My brother had a very similar accident which broke his also. He called Apple, got the normal great service. They had the store sell him another. The phone must be in a case, it's just too slippery.

I'm taking a big risk with mine, no case, I hate a case.

Same here. I'm going no case but I know that if I dropped it and it broke, I'd be devastated! Ah the problems of the first world..

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
delete this post, and exchange it and tell whatever place u bought it at it came that way

thats what i would do

So you're telling people to lie...

And commit fraud.

Nice......LOOSER!!!!!!!!!!

Geezus get over yourself. Are you going to run into every one of these threads claiming people are committing fraud?

^ Yes

Welcome to my ignore list.

^ Agree with above except the useless comment on one reply, posting on threads that inform them they are committing fraud.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Sorry that happened to you.

I feel like this is Apple's first shot at the large screens and this will be an issue for lots of people. :(

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I had my new iPhone 6 for all of three hours before breaking it. :eek:

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

:-(. Did you have AppleCare? Drops can be flukey. I dropped my 5s from a desk and nothing happened. A small drop cracked my iPad screen. It all depends on the angle and where it got hit. Apple stores are holding back stock for replacements, so you may be able to get it swapped out, though it will be $299 if you don't have AppleCare.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
In before all the losers coming in and recommending the OP buy AppleCare after the fact and file a claim...

ngn.dan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Jesus, sorry to hear. I have the 6+ and have only dropped it once on my carpet. I've done this on my samsungs before but just tell them you were playing a game that required excessive tapping and the screen cracked. Works every time.

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
delete this post, and exchange it and tell whatever place u bought it at it came that way
thats what i would do

Hahhaha me too. There was a lady on here who took hers back because it overheated on the charger and the screen cracked

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Ouch. That sucks, man. I've been lucky never to have broken a screen so far and I've owned every iPhone but the 5S. I've never used a case either... until this 6 Plus. I got the Apple leather case. It wraps around the edge where the glass rolls over the side. I had a feeling that would be extra vulnerable to breakage. I've dented various iPhones on that edge before.

Take yours back and beg for a replacement. They may do it and you have nothing to lose. If you're lucky they'll swap it for the restock fee. If not you'll have to have the screen replaced. Either way? Grab a case for this one. It looks extra cool in the Apple leather. I got black.

----------

well... thats not possible since he already as the phone. for him to get it, they would have to look at the phone prior to purchase..

I thought you could add it over the phone.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Buy Apple care file a claim.

Does it make you attest there is nothing wrong with your phone when you purchase it? If there is, then you shouldn't. If not you're good to go

dgfreeman

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Mine slipped from my pocket while seated at my desk this afternoon and dropped about 20"
This is the result
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411435468.745457.jpg

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
True, without pictures it never happened. So evidence attached :)

It looks worse in the photo as the top layer is still there holding it all in place.

I really can't tell if that crack is underneath the glass or above the glass.

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I have an iPhone 6 I've been trying to send back because of a faulty display. Took it to the ups store and the number Apple gave me doesn't work. Called from the parking lot and found out Apple doesnt do ups drop shipments for the iphone 6 yet, they misinformed me and I'd have to wait for a box. Got home, not happy and stepped out of my car and I forgot the iPhone was in my lap and it fell on the ground. Luckily no screen damage but there is a chip on the bottom left corner. Of course it's the left side of the screen that doesn't work. I hope they don't think that caused it to stop working and deny my replacement.

marcusr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I booked an appointment, took it in, told them what happened, and paid for a replacement. I was the second person that day he had dealt with for a screen replacement on a 6 - it's cheaper to replace the iPhone 6 screen than the 5/5S/5C/6+ for some reason.

Anyway, it took 15 mins and I now have a brand new undamaged phone. It cost £85 and I can claim some of that back on my credit card protection plan. I'd rather be honest - karma just kicks my ass if I lie, and the screen is white and not yellow at least.

I've only damaged one iOS device before, and that was an iPhone 4. That was stood on the floor, leaning vertically against the wall to charge from a wall socket, and it fell forward, so a drop of about 6 inches for the top of the phone, almost nothing for the bottom, and that still cracked the screen, so I guess it can be bad luck as much as how hard it's hit.

----------

Mine slipped from my pocket while seated at my desk this afternoon and dropped about 20"
This is the result
View attachment 495595

Those thin curved sides are definitely the vulnerable part. :-(

If you're OK paying for a replacement, now is the best time as they don't have the spare parts or refurbished phones yet, so you will get a brand new phone.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
all you cracked screen guys: do you by any chance run a YouTube channel with videos titled something like "<device name> drop test" ?

I accidentally clicked on one of them, now it all the time on my suggested list...I'm amazed by the "need" for these videos.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I had my new iPhone 6 for all of three hours before breaking it. :eek:

I was sat on an underground train and it slipped off my leg onto the floor. It dropped about 1ft, and onto a plastic/rubber floor. There's now a cracked section on the screen edge about the size and shape of the tip of my thumb. Luckily the crack is under the top layer of the screen, and also doesn't extend as far as the display, so not the end of the world.

It does look though that with these rounded screens the edges where the screen is very thin is very susceptible to cracking if dropped. So take care!

I realize this was an accident, but I sort of blame the craftsmanship on these phones. It's awful to have these phones built with this type of glass. Apple should have made it with sapphire glass or whatever glass material to make it shatterproof, especially at 1 feet, as you experienced. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.