I broke the LED Indicator connection when inserting RAM

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jasperk99, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

On my new Mac Mini 2018, I watched a youtube video and read ifixit, but I messed up when removing the LED Indicator connection and I broke the connection off the board. Big ooops! Best I can tell, the only thing effected is the light on the front. I can live without the light, but I wanted to make sure I didn't mess up anything more important.

The computer seems to be fine without the connection but I have in powered down in fear of messing anything else up.

2. F-Train macrumors 65816

Thanks for the heads up. I’m about to change out the RAM on my own mini, and info on mishaps is particularly helpful.

You aren’t alone. At this point, I have a whole collection of posts from people who had a mishap, or close to one.

Sounds like you didn’t do any serious damage, but this was no doubt annoying nonetheless.

3. Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

It is only 2 thin wires to the power LED. It will not cause any issues to any other component. However you will never see your power LED light.

4. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

pinkoos

Can you point me to some of the posts you've collected? I'm curious to see what problems these folks had; thanks

5. F-Train macrumors 65816

Sorry, I don't have links. I copied and pasted to the Mac Notes app. Just a little last minute reading before I perform RAM surgery myself later this week :)

6. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

pinkoos

Able to just copy and paste here what you copied and pasted to Notes?

7. F-Train, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

The posts/parts of posts that I collected are by several people, I don't have the permission of these people to repost their content, and in most cases I didn't note the poster's name so I can't even credit them.

8. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

9. F-Train macrumors 65816

Hi pinkoos,

Further to post #7, I'm thinking about doing this. I'm just concerned that one of the people quoted could take exception for one reason or another, including the lack of credit. I need a debate over this like I need a hole in the head :)

I suppose that I could do my own summary of the issues, but that takes time and more importantly would lack the tone and nuance of the original posts.

10. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

pinkoos

No worries - yes, you're right, you don't need a new debate started! :)