Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
Could this have damaged my phone in any way?

On apples website it says it can withstand -20 C to 45 C.

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I had my phone out when skiing down from approx 2700 m height to about 1900.

I'm not very sure about the accuracy of those numbers but I wanna be sure if it could be a reason why my phone is sluggish on homescreen and decreased battery time ?

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
Not sure why your worried? You took it upto 2700m and apple says 3000m is fine.

Yeah but the point is I had it out (filming) and you know how freaking cold it gets when you ski down like that?

I mean, sure it was sunny and it wasn't snowing but imagine that freezing cold (wind) etc on the way down. You imagine that must be more than -20.

I've operated my phone above 10,000 feet plenty of times with no noticeable issues.

May I ask where did you take it up this high?

I'm very interested in knowing why Apple states this , the thing about the height. It's the pressure , yes but how does that affect the battery?

DEG1

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
N. Chicago Burbs
Take mine to 16-17,500 in an unpressurized cabin frequently. Admittedly, it's in Airplane mode as I jut use it as a music source. Never a problem.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If there was a prob, the Swiss and the Vikings would be screaming NO FAIR! to Apple.

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
Yeah but the point is I had it out (filming) and you know how freaking cold it gets when you ski down like that?

I mean, sure it was sunny and it wasn't snowing but imagine that freezing cold (wind) etc on the way down. You imagine that must be more than -20.

-20 wind chill does not mean -20 degrees. Wind chill does not affect our devices like it affects us. What could have damaged your phone is condensation if you went inside shortly after having it out.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
-20 wind chill does not mean -20 degrees. Wind chill does not affect our devices like it affects us. What could have damaged your phone is condensation if you went inside shortly after having it out.
How would condensation damage the phones interior?
Making it slower or just kill it instantly?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Those ranges apple lists are for operating limits. If the phone figures out its too hot or too cold it will shut itself down to preserve. Anyone who's left a phone in the sun and gets the heat message can bear witness.

If your phone is working, no you didn't damage it.

A cool thing about getting phones too cold though is you will see them slow down considerably. Cold freezing is a technique that many hackers use (and have since the 80's) because certain components slow dramatically in operation when its cold. I just saw a post on one of the sites I frequent the other day showing how to bypass the Android security and flash a custom rom on a lockdown device by freezing it. Apparently that particular type of ram slows to a crawl when frozen.

The condensation comment from the other poster just means that if the phone went from being extremely cold to hot in a short time water vapor can build up internally. That said if its working now you probably don't have any damage as the heat from inside the phone has most likely already evaporated any build up inside.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I have had my phone out running video and pics at over 12,000 feet with zero issues and once had it out filming at 15,000 but it was only filming that high for about a minute and a half as I was falling at about 110 miles per hour.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I don't even know why they put those warnings on there. It drops below -20C on a beautiful bright winters day every day... Most of the time even less than that, I'm pretty sure my phone is still in perfect working order.

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
I don't even know why they put those warnings on there. It drops below -20C on a beautiful bright winters day every day... Most of the time even less than that, I'm pretty sure my phone is still in perfect working order.

Usually tech specs like that err on the conservative side of things. However at -20 degrees I'm sure the battery no longer runs at full efficiency but that would only a temporary situation while exposed to those temperatures.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have used my iPhone on top of Pikes Peak which is 14,110 feet or 4,300 meters.

----------

I've had mine at 16K feet (in the mountains of CO), no problems whatsoever. It was about 40F out.

FYI, the tallest mountain in Colorado is Mt. Elbert at 14,440 feet.;)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have used my iPhone on top of Pikes Peak which is 14,110 feet or 4,300 meters.

----------

FYI, the tallest mountain in Colorado is Mt. Elbert at 14,440 feet.;)

You are correct, I had meant to type 12,000 and didn't even catch myself after my first edit :cool:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I've had mine at 16K feet (in the mountains of CO), no problems whatsoever. It was about 40F out.

Sorry, no such thing as a 16K mountain in Co but you stood corrected ;) :D Guess we are having fun with this Tyler23

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 7.21.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 7.21.44 PM.png
    223 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.