I built a simple website wuth iweb - how do I publish it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Dec 29, 2008.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

I use iweb, to start my website building experiences.
    I have a webspace and would like to upload my content.

I can connect to the server with the finder and drag and drop my files on the server.

This is very time consuming and most of the time, the transfer of bigger files brakes, causing me hours, to re upload.

Is there any recommended software, where I can save my servers data and automatically publish with a reconnect over night?

What do you use, to get your content on the server?
    The file manager, provided by the host (webbased solution) doesnt help me either, as it is extremely slow and I have to choose each file seperately - not for me.

2. sahnert macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Cyberduck is a good free FTP application that will let you upload your iWeb site to your webspace. Choose publish to folder from within iWeb and then cyberduck should be able to sync just the changes instead of uploading the whole site everytime.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes Cyberduck is good and the price is right, but the sync doesn't work (as is the case with other FTP programs either to be fair) because iWeb republishes all the files each time you publish to a folder, so the FTP programs see new times/dates on all the files and re-uploads them all! :(

Other good FTP programs for uploading sites are Fetch, FileZilla and to me the all time winner Transmit. Each of these should keep retrying failed uploads until they are complete so would address the OP's desire to upload overnight (must be a dialup connection to take that long and sometimes fail right?).

There is at least one small program to use with iWeb (which naturally I can't locate right now :() that does does do syncing by file size instead of date that will only upload changed files-- but if your changed file should wind up being exactly the same size, that method fails too.

4. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

cyberduck is not the complete solution

I had a longer try with cyberduck today.

The functions are all, I need, except for the syncing issue with iweb sites.

I dont feel so comfortable with the single pane browser, but think, I could asjust.
    I do like the transfer window with its infos.

One issue, I have with cyberduck, where it completely fails is the unability, to retry a broken upload, until complete.

This is a vital feature with the bad connection (Chinese ADSL to US server).

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You might want to go ahead and try the 15 day unlimited demo that Transmit 3.6 offers then. It is a dual pane configuration and in my experience does not give up until the files are transferred (and I would bet there is a timeout setting that could be lengthened in the preferences too).

6. sahnert macrumors 6502

You might be thinking of Easy iWeb Publisher. According to MacWorld, this will actually sync only changed files. I remember trying this program a while back but I haven't used it recently so I'm not sure whether it has any of the transfer management that the original poster requires.

7. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip.
    As I tried several ftp clients now, I resume the following:

The free solutions cyberduck and classic ftp do not cut it for me. Their functions are right and enough for me, but both do not resume reliably and take a great deal of user help, to get files up with slow, unreliable connections.

Transmit and yummy ftp are the two winners, that took it in the last round and there really is very little difference in function and UI between those two.

There are 3 small things, I favourise yummy ftp at the moment:

1) the UI is even more integrated into the OS X finder and shares functions and presentation with the finder (file inspector, file actions, file view controls,...).

2) the status window of yummy is magnifiscent, as it shows a progress bar and status of each single file, while transmitting (you can expand it or hide it). Transmits status implementation is much lesser.

3) the reconnect and resume upload with a slow connection works absolutely flawless without any user action needed.

Both (transmit and yummy ftp) are very very close, function wise maybe identical. To me, yummy is slighly more polished and differs in exactly the small things, that adress my concerns.

As I get the files up now, new issues arise, that are connected to iweb (yellow failure message on the bottom of blog pages and missing links, to name a few). Where would I get the best support for these issues (the yellow failure message seems to occur frequetly on the net but no solution for it could be found)?

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Though that is not the program I was thinking of, Easy Web Publisher is certainly worthwhile for iWeb folks- good find! Kind of nice to find an FTP program that syncs by file size rather than modified date and is free too! I have added it to the toolkit for sure.

I remembered the other one I was thinking of in the meantime- it is called iWeb Valet and can be seen here. In addition to the size based syncing for transfer, it also encodes email address, allows for the insertion of meta tags, has a backup and restore function for your domain.sites2 file(s), can add favicons to your site and few other little functions, but it is also a commercial app that costs $19. So if it is just the syncing that someone is after, your find is a great deal!

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

It is a shock to see how similar the two FTP programs you mentioned are! I'm glad Yummy seems to do what you need it to do! :) Since it is a commercial application (as is Transmit) I think I will be sticking with Transmit since I already have a paid license for that and it works for me.

As far as the place to find the most in depth iWeb help on problems the best I have seen is in the Apple Discussion groups. Go to the iWeb category ( here ) and you will find that those boards are pretty active. Perhaps you will find some help there- as I have never heard of the problem you are descibing myself, but I have to wonder if it is related to the fact that blog comments that you can set up in iWeb are not supported if the site is not published to MobileMe....

Good luck and I hope you find some answers there!

10. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help!
    Yummy gave me a crash today (1st and only so far) under some heavy usage on my mbp (I cant count the apps, that were active at the time).

Would this not have happened, I would have thrown my credit card against it already. I will now use it heavily until the demo expires and buy a licence then (I have the feeling, I will).

One thing, I have confronted today, was, when uploading a pack of small files (4MB the package) and an interupted connection, some of the files, were missing/ uncomplete/ corrupted and the website would not show up properly, despite yummy gave green lights after the upload.

I have to zip the files and upload them as one file and unpack it on the server with the webhosts file manager (web based).

This is unfortunately not so slick anymore - 3 more working steps.

I didnt find out, whether yummy does have a function for that.

I ll head to the iweb board, to get the blog issue sorted (I have found out, that the last time of entry is not linked to a timeupdate anymore - it hangs at an old date).

Additional to that, there are as many failure messages at the bottom, as there are blog entries.

The blog function, to show pictures from the actual blog entry do not work.

It looks a bit more complex then :(