I called Apple about replace the HDD into more space or speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucky3killer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. lucky3killer macrumors regular

I was called Apple and asked some questions about replace the different brand of hard drive, even more space or more speed. They told me that wouldn't void the warranty if you installed new HDD so properly, even not make any damage by HDD replacement, if so then would void your warranty. If you installed it so properly and haven't any problem that related to HDD then you are still under warranty, same goes applies to Apple Care.

If Apple Care was voided after they found any damage from HDD replacement then you are still under phone call support, it would cost you for repair the parts if warranty was voided or expired.

Is it safe to put WD 320GB HDD in MacBook Pro? I did bought WD 250GB HDD and installed it then found the failure from SMART then replaced back to stock HDD. Does WD 320GB HDD is much improve over WD 250GB HDD?

2. esvee macrumors member

Youll see an increase in space, because its a bigger hard drive. As long as you install it properly theres no reason that it would cause any harm. As for speed, they're probably both 5400rpm and have similar buffers, so you really wont see any difference in speed, just space.

3. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

Does MR members are installed WD 320GB HDD in MacBook Pro so successfully?

4. one1 macrumors 65816

Apple gives instructions on how to replace the HD and the Memory. As long as they give instructions out like that, they are saying it is OK as it would imply. I believe that is the only thing they actually do give instructions for replacing.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's for the MacBook. I've not seen DIY instructions for replacing the HD on MacBook Pros, yet. Please share link... :)

According to one of the local Apple Retailers here in Bergen they doesn't replace HDs on the MacBook Pros just to avoid any problems with the warranties, even if you ask them. And they're a certified Apple Service Centre.

6. one1 macrumors 65816

I don't disagree, I'm just saying....... ;)

"Well you told me how to do it on my MacBook, so I tried it on my Pro also!" :D

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

here is a link it looks worse than it is,take your time,print the instructions off
    and remember to ground yourself.there great drives as ive got one

http://www.ifixit.com/

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iFixit is NOT the same as Apple!

I know how to change the disk... I just don't know how to do it without violating any terms in the Warranty and/or AppleCare... ;)

9. esvee macrumors member

As long as you don't break any stickers in the process you won't void your warranty. Apple has said that replacing the hard drive wont void the warranty, so its just that simple.

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

if i were you, i would buy an external HD instead of replacing the original HD that was installed on your MBP