I called AT&T to cancel my BlackBerry Data Plan and it worked!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leomac08, Oct 13, 2009.

1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=797546

I asked this question about 3 weeks ago....

Can I use GPS without a BlackBerry Data Plan on my Blackberry Curve?

I got many responses saying it won't work, b/c google maps, garmin mobile and other GPS app's need Data!

Anyways.....

Many people thought that customers of AT&T could not cancel there Data Plans after the Sept 6, 2009 Data with Smartphone Policy was put.

According to one of the MacRumors Members: "I have bad new for you leomac08. After September 6th 2009 you will not be allowed to drop you data plan.

You are SOL on that part. You are stuck with that data plan on all smart phones. The only way to drop it is to no longer be using a smart phone. Yes I know it sucks but AT&T was the last of the major carriers to force data plans on to all smart phones.

As for you orginal question. No Google maps will no longer work with out a data plan.

But you the most important part is you can not save money by dropping the data plan any more.

here is a thread regarding the data plan from the crackberry forums.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-n...a-plan-311071/"

But today I called AT&T and I cancelled the BlackBerry Data Plan for my Curve.

and automatically the "EDGE" on top of my Curve switched to "GSM"

and like that I no longer have a Data Plan.:D

I thought people could not do that, but I did.

After that, I Hide all the Data Consuming Apps.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

Makes me ask the question?

"Can existing AT&T customers with Data Plans on their Smartphones still cancel their Data Plans if they where customers before Sept 6, 2009?"

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I did some digging afterwards. Only reason they let you cancel your plan is your were grandfathered in.
    Since your Data plan was pre 9/06/09 they allowed you to do it. If your data plan was added to the account afterward or on your next upgrade no hope.