I can believe that I'm buying a DELL, someone stop me!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grokgod, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I have needed a new laptop to work with DL dvd and SxS card slot for my video work, I've been waiting for new MacBooks for what seems very long but perhaps was only years?

Got some mail today, a Vostro 2510.
    Nice looking with 2 gb of ram, 160 HD, 256 video ram Geforce, 15" screen
    for $899.

That's a incredible price and it's DL with the right slot for my EX1 memory cards.

I am REALLY thinking of buying this unit.

Will someone give me a good reason not to, puhlease.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Seems like a really good price. If you can, get them to increase the screen resolution as it's probably quite low.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It does run another OS which is equal in performance, reliability and features though.

5. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I can't find the resolution on this unit, and that would be a deal breaker.

15.4" UltraSharpTM Wide Screen WUXGA LCD Display (1920x1200 screen resolution) with TrueLifeTM , found it, whats TRUE LIFE

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1440 x 900 stock and a 1920 x 1200 option.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Sure, but don't confuse that with usability.

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

You were waiting for what reason? There will always be new, improved products coming out. Always.

Look at digital cameras. Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Olympus, etc have new compact cameras out every few months that have new features or with a slight increase in the number of megapixels. You just have to bite the bullet and buy what you want when you want. That is, of course, if the wallet can afford it!

9. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Would a refurb Macbook Pro not do the trick, and you can dual boot into Windows if you have any software that is Windows-based?

They would be around that price range possibly.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    AH gee,lesee, VISTA:(, IT support in INDIA:mad:, nuf said;):apple::apple::apple:

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

12. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

That's the best reason so far... ;)

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

It runs Vista. There solved your issue.

I don't specifically have a problem with Dell as a brand, but they haven't done much to distinguish themselves from other OEMs. Their notebooks that run Linux are as expensive or more expensive than Windows Vista notebooks while still being quite weak in terms of higher end options.

I would consider the Voodoo Envy (with Linux installed over Vista) or something built by Lenovo, but in my opinion Dell is not even in the same league as the others these days.

Edit:

Tech Support 1: http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=144
    Tech Support 2: http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=269
    Tech Support 3: http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=310

Spoofs of Dell technical support from illwillpress. Most likely not safe for work, but an amusing reminder of why we don't like Dell's support.

14. jroller macrumors regular

As much as I love Macs, ultimately a computer is a tool to get work done. If you need to get your work done and Apple doesn't offer the right tool for you, buy the windows box.

That said, it is clear that Mac is the platform of choice for most who work with video. I think if you can wait another month or two to see what is being offered next, then wait. But as always, if you need or want it NOW, buy what you want/need NOW.

15. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

More than likely, TRUE LIFE is that blasted glossy display. Hate that stuff.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Maybe so, but it comes with Windows.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

TRUE LIFE is the glossy, deep black, high contrast coating, so beloved on many of today's displays.

I like it.

18. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Get the Dell...

Do it for the sake of your EX1 - It'll increase the productivity of your workflow (i hate that word so much!).

P.S. I hate you for having that camera... So so so jealous!

19. enpojken macrumors member

hobos use dells...

Attached Files:

20. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Hobos uses a Dell
    Use a Dell, go to Hell

I think thats more than enough reasons :D

21. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Is it running DOS or Linux? If it's running XP SP2, maybe I can agree with 20% of that statement. If it's Vista, then you're smoking some pretty strong crack.

Don't do it. Vostro is DELL's Business crap line. Units are cheap for a reason. A 15.4" screen with 1280x800 is pretty nasty. If u get the higher res, u get what u pay for....

22. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

some one please explain to me why this you wouldn't just get a macbook, get a free ipod, and sell it, and get a far superior computer for cheaper!?

Or a used macbook pro!?

My dell literally fell to pieces. The ethernet port ripped out, one usb port fell off its mounts, the screen had bad pixels, and it was like turning on a lawn mower when the fans turned on, then they never turned of.

Given though, that i loved that computer, because i love notebooks. But goodness.

23. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

"May the Power of Steve Jobs Compel You, May the Power of Steve Jobs Compel You..."

24. JVene macrumors newbie

Look in the news about Dell and NVidia GPU's - they were probably second or third, after HP, to 'discover' that the GPU's literally burn or melt the chip's package.

Perhaps a 'new' Dell will be better, but news has it (mixed with a little rumor, but then look at this website's name :) ) that all NVidia chips from about 18 months ago to the present are actually affected; they just won't (or can't) own up to it yet.

They'll send you a patch to keep the fan running, and hope the thing lasts until your warranty expires.

I'm no particular fan of any brand, including Apple - everyone has had their fair share of problems, so double check with skepticism on any laptop with NVidia GPU's, even Apple's machines.

However, I'll bet you get better service if there is a problem from Apple than from Dell.

I friend of mine (a professional, non-tech person) has a Dell laptop purchased perhaps a year or so ago. It came with Vista, when XP was still an option (she didn't purchase one of the 'business' machines that continued to have XP downgrade rights).

Her cell-based mobile broadband device, for which she still had another 8 months on contract, had no driver for Vista - which she didn't realize until after she and her husband spent 3 weeks trying to get it to work. I had to locate and install beta drivers to get it to function, developed by an open-source volunteer. It worked, but they paid me $25 to find the driver and install it (they offered $100, but really - they're friends, not clients).

Anyway, since then, she has received a replacement keyboard, which she installed herself (that took 2 days, and then she called me over to do that for her). The keyboard was a replacement for the one she ruined trying to replace something else that was under the keyboard (I forget what that was).

I remember how 'nice' the machine looked (looks), the Vista-home-premium with the glowing buttons (first time I had seen the Vista interface) - it seemed a bit foreign compared to XP, but 'pretty' - slow for a dual Intel machine with 256 Mbytes of GPU - but nice looking.

If you can find a legitimate XP disc in your collection, and assuming you can or are willing to 'transfer' that to your 'new' Dell, I'd personally choose to run XP if I'm going to run Windows at all. I highly recommend the 64 bit version, too - it's faster, more stable and actually uses the RAM you give it.

As a developer, I can tell you without hesitation that, although XP and it's NT ancestors were actually good technical accomplishments (rumors to the contrary are not as 'real' as many profess), the interior of OSX, to a developer and engineer, is considerably more 'modern' and advanced in design. OSX is based on Unix, that has a 30+ year history of reliability - though this particular branch might be aged to only 20, and Apple's 'generation' of the kernel and other choices putting it together mean that some of it is even more recent, the point is the technological roots of OSX are extremely well exercised and proven. It was a great choice to use as the basis for OSX. Windows struck out on their own, and re-invented the wheel, and didn't do as well.

OSX's Unix based file system approach is much better than Windows. One place you see this is in managing large files on disks were write cache is disabled. OSX's method for mapping the location of files is more sophisticated (and the Unix system allows for plugin file system alternatives). In Windows, for example, if you have a file that's 4Gbytes (typical enough these days), and if the allocation size is 4K (common), there will be 1 million entries in the directory to map that file. If you copy the file from one drive to another, and write caching is disabled, the machine may appear to hang for several minutes (sometimes 15 or 20), even though the file COULD be copied in about 3 minutes. It makes you wait through hundreds of thousands of directory management steps. Of course, turning on the write cache 'fixes' this - at the risk of loosing directories at every errant shutdown.

The long awaited WinFX filesystem, which was supposed to be in Vista, never appeared. They had to strip it because they couldn't get the code into 'release condition' soon enough. They still haven't, as far as I know.

Unix methods are far superior in this regard, and Apple inherited that when it decided to base OSX on Unix, and then selected a range of filesystems you can choose from. I don't see this mentioned much in the argument between OSX and Vista - I usually hear more generic terms like reliability, virus susceptibility, user interface quality - but there are more mundane specifics like this which form the real guts of your computer system you would never know about unless you had a reason to look, like I do (as a developer).

Every where you turn to examine the differences involved you find points to be made like this. There are a few in favor of Windows (especially Windows 2000 and XP), but they are few and of limited value. Critical sections, for example - a technique used to protect memory shared by various threads in an application, is much faster and lighter in Windows than in Unix/Linux and Mac. Mac is more like Linux than you might believe, because under the hood is the ancestor to all of the Linux/Unix family line.

In most ways that matter, and the closer you look to compare, you'll realize there's a lot to appreciate about the design of the Mac OSX compared to anything from Windows.

With all of that said, I still develop applications that target Windows - I'm in business, so I have to choose to cover a wide audience. The only 'catch' I ever agree with which designates a Windows machine for a particular purpose is if a required application is only available on Windows, and there are a few, but they are generally not required by most users.