I can confirm, that for me, AirPrint support has been removed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theBigD23, Nov 10, 2010.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I have a Brother 7840W Printer. I have a MacBook Pro using the first 10.6.5 Beta. I also have a Mac Pro that uses the public released 10.6.5.

When sharing my printer only though the public release of 10.6.5, my iPad cannot find the printer and will not print.

When I remove the sharing and activate sharing through the beta 10.6.5, I can still connect to my printer and print.

For those that are still able to print on the publicly released 10.6.5, my guess is that upgrading from the beta to the public release still leaves some drivers that are not deleted and continue to allow you to print.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You may want to look in on the iPhone forum as there is a thread there about how the poster used Air Print and it worked and he posts pics to prove it.

From what I've been reading about it, the Printer that you use has to be compatible or it won't work. There are some posters on that thread that cannot get it to work either. They are listing printers that they've used.

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

so the printer itself has to have the support? or can it just be a network printer? Because the printer the OP mentions sounds like a network printer to me.

That'd be mega lame/stupid since OS X's CUPSD supports brother printers >>

4. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The main point is that was printing on the 10.6.5 beta and is not printing on the public release. So, something was removed or broken.

I have not upgraded my MacBook Pro, so if that system is sharing the printer, it will print. If my Mac Pro with the public release of 10.6.5 shares, it will not.

5. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Pointless thread, AirPrint functionality is part of the iTunes update not OS X 10.6.5.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

That isn't true on Mac OS X but only for Windows.

8. imacken macrumors 65816

9. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not true at all.

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

can't get this working for me :(

i have the files installed in the right location - rebooted my imac.. (10.6.5)

deleted printer, then re-added it.

turned on printer sharing and selected the printer to share.

on my iPhone 4, it says "no printers found"....:confused:

i've even rebooted my iPhone, but still nothing. (and yes, it is running the 4.2 GM)

11. imacken macrumors 65816

It's a long shot, but have you tried 'repairing permissions'? That seemed to make a difference for me.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

is it still the fact that only the handful of printers support Airprint? or can any printer work through network sharing? I wasn't quite sure of this.

I may try that.. thanks

13. imacken macrumors 65816

Restoring full functionality using the '3 files' method brings the 'shared printers' back into play.
    Otherwise you're stuck with direct printing to 3 Airprint-compatible HP e-printers. (Obviously, others will follow in the future.)
    Currently, that is a lot less functionality than you get with Apps like 'Print n Share' or 'Printcentral'. With these you can print to any networked printer and directly to any HP wireless printer - not just the 3 e-ones.