Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I know how to fix the notch! It should be in the shape of the bottom of the Apple logo and the top of the Apple can sort of wrap over the top of the device and upside down on the top of the back. Like it’s folded over the top.

Can someone savy make a graphic of this?

It would be more interesting than the notch.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don’t think the notch is a problem, no need for a fix unless it to make it smaller as technology permits
The only problem, which could be a nuisance to some, is when the phone is used in landscape orientation. Some apps, such as games, only run in landscape and some video streaming apps insist on having only the zoomed out video mode that fills the entire screen (notch, rounded corners, and all).

bungledvolley

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2017
The only problem, which could be a nuisance to some, is when the phone is used in landscape orientation. Some apps, such as games, only run in landscape and some video streaming apps insist on having only the zoomed out video mode that fills the entire screen (notch, rounded corners, and all).

any app developer worth his salt would consider the notch when designing/developing the app, I think.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I know how to fix the notch! It should be in the shape of the bottom of the Apple logo and the top of the Apple can sort of wrap over the top of the device and upside down on the top of the back. Like it’s folded over the top.

Maybe I'm imagining your solution incorrectly - but I think this would look a little odd. A half-folded apple on both the front & back of the phone? I don't know. I don't see the advantage of that over a notch approximately the size of the half-apple, existing solely where the current notch is today.

Anyway, I think a smaller notch would be better, and I'm willing to bet that's the direction Apple will go. Progressively smaller notches until they have the tech ready to do away with them entirely.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Is this a serious post?

Also, that aside, people are STILL going on about this?!!

Seriously. If that’s the attitude you have, nobody’s forcing you to buy it. I find it beyond infantile the way people have been “notch this” and “notch that” as though their display is impeded upon.

You won’t see anything when the screens off, in 16:9 content (which is the video standard) you’ll experience nothing more than as if the device had the traditional bezels and for full screen portrait content the screen is extended to the top corners where typically the status info is placed out the way leaving the rest of the screen estate for nothing but content. Therefore granting us access to more screen than ever before. It’s fantastic design. Hell, with iOS 12 the homebar has even been moved down so it’s literally on the very edge of the screen making it completely non-intrusive.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I just checked the YouTube app and the notch isn’t really encroaching on any part of the video?

I think what he means is that if you want to fill the entire screen edge to notch with video, the notch imposes a bit of the video.

Is this a serious post?

Also, that aside, people are STILL going on about this?!!

Seriously. If that’s the attitude you have, nobody’s forcing you to buy it. I find it beyond infantile the way people have been “notch this” and “notch that” as though their display is impeded upon.

You won’t see anything when the screens off, in 16:9 content (which is the video standard) you’ll experience nothing more than as if the device had the traditional bezels and for full screen portrait content the screen is extended to the top corners where typically the status info is placed out the way leaving the rest of the screen estate for nothing but content. Therefore granting us access to more screen than ever before. It’s fantastic design. Hell, with iOS 12 the homebar has even been moved down so it’s literally on the very edge of the screen making it completely non-intrusive.

While I agree this post is odd, I don't enjoy the notch myself still after almost 11 months of using it day to day. I was rather embarrassed for Apple during their keynote for the XS this year with showing quite a bit of landscape shots and the notch was unfortunately intruding. I do fully get it though they had to put the hardware somewhere. While I don't think they did it wrong I think overall they could have fudged it a little better. I would have absolutely had zero complaints for them to have made the ears black to display notification info and then artificially designed the corners. Equal compromise for everyone who hates/defends the already required compromise of a notch. Like this:
$

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
^^^ You can find wallpapers that do exactly that. More power to ya.

But if Apple hardcoded the “ears” to only be used for time, battery, and such, then we wouldn’t have the option of full screen, “edge to edge.” As it is now - I can choose whether I want to watch a video all the way to the edge or not. Choice is good.

Reactions: j800r

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
^^^ You can find wallpapers that do exactly that. More power to ya.

But if Apple hardcoded the “ears” to only be used for time, battery, and such, then we wouldn’t have the option of full screen, “edge to edge.” As it is now - I can choose whether I want to watch a video all the way to the edge or not. Choice is good.

Fully agree. The choice is there. App and game design is up to the software developers. Maybe they could add a black out option for the whiners but it seriously isn’t the end of the world.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I think what he means is that if you want to fill the entire screen edge to notch with video, the notch imposes a bit of the video.

While I agree this post is odd, I don't enjoy the notch myself still after almost 11 months of using it day to day. I was rather embarrassed for Apple during their keynote for the XS this year with showing quite a bit of landscape shots and the notch was unfortunately intruding. I do fully get it though they had to put the hardware somewhere. While I don't think they did it wrong I think overall they could have fudged it a little better. I would have absolutely had zero complaints for them to have made the ears black to display notification info and then artificially designed the corners. Equal compromise for everyone who hates/defends the already required compromise of a notch. Like this:
$
If you zoom in YT, you're losing video no matter what considering the phone is not 16:9, notch or no notch. Furthermore the rounded fake corners on that second image are quite ugly.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I thought the notch was the dumbest idea ever last year. When I got the X, I obsessively looked at it and it bothered me for the first day or so. My thoughts were how we were missing part of the screen. Then it occurred to me that it isn't missing part of a screen, but it is giving you extra screen. If they didn't put the status stuff up there, then they'd have to bring it down and apps would have less space. Clearly having more space for your apps is better. After I realized this, I forgot about the notch. It is no different than those phones that have a small bit of screen on the side or corner. It is just something extra.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
If you zoom in YT, you're losing video no matter what considering the phone is not 16:9, notch or no notch. Furthermore the rounded fake corners on that second image are quite ugly.

Agreed, it's a simple concept that was actually for use as a background wallpaper, they expanded beyond the notch as well to further detract from the attention to detail put into it, this is a more accurate idea:
DJjBaK5WsAEKOAH.jpg:large

And yes I know there's a loss of viewable content when you zoom in, I was just clarifying the actions around it which result in losing content from the top, bottom, and left side just to fill the entire screen. Any content that fills the graphical output resolution to the display gets the notch area imposed on no matter what which my opinions will always be that it's a distraction since attempting to utilize the full display is an unfortunate compromise that, while tolerable by many here, is definitely nobodies ideal. IT definitely is what it is for now. I don't see Apple inviting more points of failure with retractable camera mechanisms like others have done so we get what we get by how they implement as close as possible the edge-to-edge goal.

Edit: The main issue I've seen is regarding full screen content displayed in landscape like games and apps. I've heard people in Apple stores over the past while commenting while playing with the phones that they feel like they should be able to see whats there and "why is it hiding a portion of the screen". General consumers aren't tech driven are the base customers for Apple products because it's easy, You turn it on and go. They're also not necessarily early adopters of the latest Apple stuff but eventually will come into it. I just feel like they don't understand it as easily. Providing fill in with artificially introducing borders like the image I posted would have made more sense to them in those scenarios because it would give them a "full" experience. That's something I'm very surprised about with Apple on this product design honestly. I'm curious if this was every a concept idea and if so why they ended up scrapping it. Possibly app scaling, it would make for a very specific aspect ratio. Just in landscape scenarios at least would be a great benefit for all, as having those two ears display a small extra portion of content isn't great right now. Developers (don't know if they have yet or not) could take advantage of still using those spots to display content like number of lives or something but I feel the current setup is underutilized for user experience.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.