I can get the 3rd gen (64 gb) and the 4th gen (32 gb) for the same price

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jomarr, Nov 4, 2011.

1. jomarr, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

jomarr macrumors member

Which one should I get? :(
    BOTH ARE BRAND NEW. The 64 gb is a stock that was never sold.

I'm torn. I really hate to run out of free space but I absolutely love the retina display. I actually can afford the 64 gb iPod touch 4 but I am in doubt of spending THAT amount of money now since this is my first job and my salary is really not that high. I am buying a new iPod since my iPod nano 4th gen has only 100 mb of storage left. That'll probably last until Black Friday where these artists will release their new albums :( I don't wanna run out of space then. But I would love the retina display since all my album art are HD and are very vibrant to look at in my desktop which also has an LED display. So if your feet are on my shoes, which one will you get?

I have a 18 gb music library as of the moment. I would be loading video but will be deleting them afterwards. Except the MVs they'll stay. I would love some apps and games but not too much of them since I'll be using an iPod for its main purpose, music. And wifi too :D

Sorry. I'll introduce myself. I'm new here.. I'm 19 years old and I live in the Philippines :p Thanks for the answers :)

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

live within your means, learn to rely on moving playlists in and out of your device or streaming with services like Sugarsync or iCloud (kind of like streaming) if you have a massive amount of music, and get the 4g. it is a much better device overall, and even with just 8gb i am doing quite well with it :)

3. jomarr thread starter macrumors member

But iCloud isn't available in my country. :(
    And the iTunes store isn't available in my country :mad: I rely on buying cds in record stores and rip them myself. I really know the IPT4 is the best but it's too expensive for me. Well I can stretch my budget but yeah. Hmmm.. I'm thinking for the past week. I need to buy one next week. Thanks for your answer :) Is th retina display really THAT better? I mean I have seen an ipod touch 4 but I have never compared the 3g and the 4 side by side so I really can't tell the diff

4. WLS macrumors 65816

Get the 64GB 3rd Gen. The more storage is the better choice. The 4th gen is not that much better, unless you must have the cameras. The processors are similar, have the same 256MB memory and both run OS5. I just faced the same choice and felt the better value was the 3rd Gen. I refused the 4th Gen when it came out and waited for a 5th Gen, well we know how that turned out. I bought the 3rd gen at a better price than the 4th.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I recommend the 32GB iPod Touch 4G. In addition to the camera, the 4G has a built-in mic, and a Retina-class display. There are a greater variety of cases available for the 4G as well, including my personal favorite, the CookieCase Premium.

The camera may not be in the same class as the iPhone, but I have found it to be very handy and with some of the photo apps in the App Store, a lot of fun. I've take some breathtaking 3D photos with the iPod Touch's camera.

As previously mentioned, make use of playlists, smart playlists, Genius mixes, as well as the variety of internet radio options available.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Get 32GB 4th gen

I have an 8GB 4th gen and it works fine. I do delete apps that I finish but other wise that's it. Currently I have around 300 songs and 60 + apps although i don't put videos though. If you put many videos it would be wise to get the 64GB 3rd gen but other wise 32GB is more than enough space, camera is terrible but with camera apps, the pictures actually look decent. The retina display is a plus, app icons look sharp, words and text will always be clear, I tried trying to look for pixelation (20/20 vision here) and at the usual spot of 8- 15 inches away from face, there are no pixelation whatsoever. I did see pixels when I held the device 1 or 2 inches away but I doubt anyone uses the ipod regularly like that.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

no worries. use sugarsync for streaming or playlists to manage memory well. the retina display is better by far.

there was misinformation above. the 4g has a better processor, twice the ram, video, photos (great if you store receipts and stuff in evernoTe), a mic, vga support (i am told i could do a keynote presentation with it, but so far i have only used my ipad), longer battery life, and it weighs less.

the 4g is markedly better. personally, i cannot imagine getting old tech just for more memory. that seems silly, especially when i do fine with 8gb.

8. jomarr thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll get myself the 64 gb iPod touch 4. I mean it's very tempting to resist. I have 20gb of music and I know it'll gradually grow. I have GBs of Movies and TV shows but I'm not really putting that all there. All in for music and some apps. The camera feature is cool as well. The pictures taken aren't as bad as other people are saying and the video quality is really good. the Retina Display which btw is one of the main factors why I consider buying myself a 4th gen will make the album art look vibrant. Battery life is better but I'm not really a touchy and skip songs alot so that's not a concern for me. 64 gb IT4 for me as a graduation gift.

Thank you guys. You made me do research. Thanks :)

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Congratulations! 64GB seems like 56 too much for me (I have far more than 100GB of music, but rotate things in and out of my 8GB using playlists). Whatever works best for you, though :)

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

But the retina display is a killer.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Get the 4th gen for sure especially since they're the same price. Better processor, front and back camera, retina display, etc. If you find yourself running out of space, be a little conservative.

12. WLS macrumors 65816

I would say the Touch retina screen is very nice but it's not "killer" if it were the same screen as the iPhone I could agree with you.
    It really goes back to what is the purpose you have for it. If the purpose is to use it as an iPod for music and want to run a select variety of apps then the 3rd gen is a better value. I don't need the Touch to do it all. If it has the storage to hold my music from iTunes and is very portable then that's all I need from it. I have an iPad 2 for playing games, browsing the internet and viewing HD graphics. It is 16GB and does not need to be any larger. When gen 3 of the iPad comes out I will be standing in line and upgrading to that while listening to music from my 3rd Gen Touch in my pocket. Latter that week I will be working out at the gym and listening to music from my 6th Gen Nano 16G clipped to my collar.
    Get the right tool for the job is my motto.
    :cool:

13. AdrianK macrumors 68020

3rd gen will not get iOS 6, 4G will, it might even get 7 considering that all iOS devices so far have got at least 1.5 years support from the time they stopped selling.

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just a fyi, the plating on the back of the 3rd and 4th are different. If that doesn't bother you, then get the 3rd

15. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

+1 a vote for the 32gb 4th gen.

Obviously down to personal preference but I have a ~30gb music library and a 32gb iPhone 4. All ripped at 256+ quality on my laptop with some nice speakers. I only listen to my iPhone using headphones so ticked the convert to 128kb option. Reduced my music down to 12.5gb and I haven't been able to tell the difference. I'm sure it would become noticeable if you paid for some expensive over the ear headphones but other than, I'd recommend giving it a go. An important point to note is that ticking this option leaves your itunes library as is and only converts the songs on the iPod. I've known a lot of people who have avoided using this option because they thought it would convert everything in their library.

16. jomarr thread starter macrumors member

How are they different? I mean the only difference I see is the black wifi sensor and the camera in the back.

17. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yes and this.
    I don't know about iOS 7 though. Lets hope so.

However the iPod touch 3 should support (But apple probably won't) iOS 6 because the processors are similar and same horrible 256mb RAM.

18. joe1946 macrumors regular

Get the 32GB 4G since I have the 64GB 4G since the first day they came out and I didn't go over 32GB until last month after loading a bunch of HD movies. I like the fact that it has the 960x640 Retina Display, 720p HD video and camera for facetime and scanning barcodes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVAjrrTgHg

19. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Also he's talking about the 64gb 3rd gen, so HD camera and facetime wouldn't apply.

20. WLS macrumors 65816

Good tip. I have a 16 GB Nano that is nearly full which I use with headphones at the gym and while riding. It's almost full and I probably could move to 128kb and not notice the difference while gaining space for lots of tunes. I wouldn't want to do that with my Touch however as I don't use headphones so much with that but do plug it into stereo equipment and small portable players with ipod docks and for that I would want 256kb stereo.

21. jomarr thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it.

I'm getting one this week before my graduation :D
    I'm thinking of ditching the 3rd gen lmao and getting a 4th generation 32gb or maybe, if my parents would back me up.. a 64 gb. I hate running out of space but I think 32gb will do it for me for about a year. Then maybe I could save up for a 64 gb for next year. Thank you guys. Much appreciated. :)

22. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

well when you get it, post your questions on here, but before you ask a question, use the search forum in the top right hand corner.

23. jomarr thread starter macrumors member

Sure. :) Me and my ipod nano 4th gen's last week :(
    3 years with me and was my first iPod too bad I have to ditch it because it's only 8gb. :apple::apple::apple:

24. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Get the 64GB third gen.
    Absolutely no differences other than the crappy camera and the washed out sub par retina display.

25. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I have to echo what a few others have said, which is that it matters what your primary use of the iPod is going to be:

- If it is going to be primarily for music-listening, then get the older 64GB. You get twice the space for the same price. No-brainer.

- If you intend to do lots of other things with it (games that can use the better GPU in the A4 chip? FaceTime? Video recording and maybe a little iMovie action? Other apps on the App Store you're interested in that take advantage of the Retina display?), then go with the 4th-gen. Also, if you are going to be watching many movies on it, either from iTunes or Netflix or your own encodes, go with the 4th-gen...you won't have as much space, true, but it has a vastly-superior screen.

-- Nathan