Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Hey everyone.
I've realized I'm in need of a new notebook and decided on the MBP.
Now here's my issue:
I don't want to go over $2,000 for this, and I'm still debating over the new MBP or the older ones (which have ridiculous price drops).

Looking at http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbookpro/
I see an older model MBP 2.5Ghz, 2GB, and 512mb 8600M GT = $1,449.99

Now, any new MBP even comparable to the price and specs of this older notebook is this:
2.4Ghz, 2GB, and 256mb 9400M + 9600M GT = $1,798.99

Now, I wanted to get your opinions to see which one would be more worth it.
Spend the extra $350 and get a newer MBP with new features, but a lower processor speed and less megabytes for the graphics card or settle with the old one?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Is the old one able to do what you need to do? If so, it's $300 for the latest look. I'd personally go with the older one and get a few things to go with it instead (AppleCare, etc) with the cash you save.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Old ones have the faulty graphics card, which will only cause you headaches further down the road. Please don't think I'm one of those people that has the new model and wants everyone to enjoy the new sweet side of life, I have the old MBP, and sometimes it does worry me how bad things would get if mine were to die at any given moment...

andrebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Old ones have the faulty graphics card, which will only cause you headaches further down the road. Please don't think I'm one of those people that has the new model and wants everyone to enjoy the new sweet side of life, I have the old MBP, and sometimes it does worry me how bad things would get if mine were to die at any given moment...

Ya. That's the one thing I'm still hesitant of with the old ones. Everyone talks about the faulty graphics card. But does anyone really have real-life stories of something going terribly wrong with their graphics card?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
There has been several threads so far of people saying their MBP's give them blank screens after sleeping. I would say hold out, save up some more, and get a brand new MBP, or, wait until the new MBP's appear on the refund site, probably happen around January time, and who knows, they may even get a spec bump at Macworld (although I doubt it).

andrebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Okay. So basically the graphics card on the older MBP sucks, despite the example I mentioned where you have 512mb (older) vs. 256mb (newer) graphics for less...

Now, does anyone have any feedback on how the glossy display holds up? I either hear major complaints or major positives.

While I'm asking, how about battery life on the newer ones? Too much of a noticeable difference?

I'm pretty much an all around user. I never had a notebook before, so I don't know where exactly I'll use this the most, but I do a lot of graphic design and video editing, and a lot of internet browsing/tweeting/etc.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
does anyone have any feedback on how the glossy display holds up? I either hear major complaints or major positives.

Oi. Hah, I thought the days of endless glossy vs. matte discussions were behind us. This topic has been hashed and rehashed a million times, and the consensus is very clear. It all comes down to personal opinion. Some people greatly prefer glossy, some people greatly prefer matte, and other people have only a slight preference, and other people are completely indifferent. So no one can tell you which is right for you, you yourself have to take a look at each screen type with your own eyes and form your own opinion. I can no more determine if you'll prefer matte or glossy than I can determine whether you'll like chocolate or vanilla.

For the record, I can't stand glossy screen. It's a complete deal breaker for me. And I am NOT in a visual arts profession. This opinion is not just isolated to photo and video professionals. You have to taste both and form your own opinion.

andrebob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Oi. Hah, I thought the days of endless glossy vs. matte discussions were behind us. This topic has been hashed and rehashed a million times, and the consensus is very clear. It all comes down to personal opinion. Some people greatly prefer glossy, some people greatly prefer matte, and other people have only a slight preference, and other people are completely indifferent. So no one can tell you which is right for you, you yourself have to take a look at each screen type with your own eyes and form your own opinion. I can no more determine if you'll prefer matte or glossy than I can determine whether you'll like chocolate or vanilla.

For the record, I can't stand glossy screen. It's a complete deal breaker for me. And I am NOT in a visual arts profession. This opinion is not just isolated to photo and video professionals. You have to taste both and form your own opinion.

Thanks for the reply.
Issue solved: Look at as many MBPs as I can with Glossy and Matte displays :)

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Get the new MBP. I also loved the old one but, I hate the latch, and I hate how hard it is to switch HDD. The glossy screen is not as bad as everyone says it is and, IMHO it is better than the old, matte or glossy. If you get one with a defect, take it back. All the old Pros have faulty GPUs.

I used to own a Black MacBook and my new MBP is so much better, I am at a loss for words.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
in your place, I would have two options:
1. Buy the old MBP. The only real difference between the new and old is the new one is supposed to look better, and it's sturdier.
2. Wait for a refurbished new MBP to come out.

the 8600M GT in the old Pro is not guaranteed to to fail. If yours does, nVidia has made revised ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.