"I CANNOT DO A RESTORE - The device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alvinstaff, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Alvinstaff macrumors newbie

I have a iphone 3gs, It used SPIRIT jailbreak, while running 3.1.3 firmware. It was working wonderfully, I plugged it into my computer and itunes and accidentally allowed it be be partially ungraded to 4.0. I am stuck in the reboot cycle.

I am unsure if it upgrade when I try to manually restore it to 3.1.3 with I have on my local drive i get the message "I CANNOT DO A RESTORE - The device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Please help

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Only thing i can guess is that since it 'partially' upgrade to 4.0 it did the baseband and now the jailbreak thing won't work anymore...

I'm assuming here that you'll have to run with 4.0 until the jailbreak is released again

3. Alvinstaff thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not running 4.0 as of yet. I am stuck in the restore cycle. I guess i will upgrade it completely to 4.0 and wait.

4. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

you must update to 4.0 3.1.3 and below are no longer signed by apple for 3GS

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My mom's iPhone 3G has iOS 4.0 (I jailbroken to give her background wallpaper, but cydia) and yesterday she told me that it was acting funny, so I told her I would restore it to factory settings to give her a clean phone.

But now the only option iTunes gives me is Restore + Update or Cancel. Same goes for the iPad (since 3.2.1 is now out). First it says its verifying the build with Apple, then I get the same pop up as the OP "my device isn't eligible for the requested build", even if I put the phone (or iPad) in DFU mode and try to restore it manually, no dice.

6. TXLady macrumors newbie

I came here looking to see if I have an isolated issue and I'm starting to think not. Updated iTunes this morning and have not been able to do a sync with iPhone 4 since. Last thing I tried was a restore and I think it's totally locked up now. iTunes said it "could not restore the iPhone because the backup session failed and the phone has been sitting for a while with "Restore in Progress" on the screen even though iTunes thinks it's done. I'm going to try to set it up as new phone instead of restore from backup and see if that works. Otherwise, guess I'll visit Apple store this evening for help.