I cannot downgrade for the life of me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GaresTaylan, Jul 25, 2011.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. Last week I ran an update in Cydia and the phone wouldn't get out of its boot loop. I tried several things via search on here - none worked. I had my SHSH saved via Tiny Umbrella. No matter what I would do to try and restore to 4.2.8... I would get an error. Error 1015, 20, 1600, etc etc. I followed guides on Redmond Pie, searched on here again - no dice. I needed a working phone since I was going out of town so I restored to 4.2.9.

Now that I am back in town, I wanted to jailbreak the phone and get it squared away. First I tried to do the tethered jailbreak on 4.2.9 - but after its set up and I install anything in Cydia - SBSettings, Winterboard, etc.. I get stuck in a boot loop.

So I went back to try and restore to 4.2.8 again.. no dice. I cant for the life of me figure out what Im doing wrong? Here are the steps Im following:

-Launch Tiny Umbrella
    -Verify that the checkbox to set to Cydia is unchecked
    -Start TSS server
    -Launch into DFU mode (I have tried PWNd DFU as well)
    -Restore using 4.2.8 ipsw

I always get to verifying the restore and then I get something like error 1600. I've tried from there to just unplug, plug back in, and run the restore again. No dice. Any help? Can I not roll back even though I have my SHSH saved?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You are not putting the phone in pwned DFU correctly.

Try this method instead.

Put the phone in pwned DFU mode with redsnow.
    Close Redsnow.
    Open tiny umbrella, do not start TSS server.
    Do option restore on MAC and select your 4.2.8 ipsw

Opening TU without starting TSS server will change your host file to point to Saurik server and allow the shsh on file there to support the restore.

3. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have used redsn0w to enter DFU. I have also tried to do the restore in Windows using greenp0ison to launch into DFU. The limera!n exploit runs and the software shows its in pwned dfu. Same error occurs in Windows.

I also tried obtaining my 4.2.8 ispw from a different location in case it was bad. I even tried another ispw from an earlier version of iOS. 4.2.6 I think.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not sure what you are doing, but this is what you should be doing;

1.) Put it into DFU using Apple's instructions (connect iphone into itunes/computer, hold power button 3 secs, Power+home for 10 secs, release power and just hold home button until your iphone STAYS off completely and is recognized by itunes, should take no more than 15 secs)

2.) Restore to 4.2.8 ipsw. If you can't do this due to itunes error, while you're on the most recent version of itunes and after trying different usb ports, then your SHSH wasn't saved so you are more or less scr3w3d until the next untethered jailbreak.

3.) Jailbreak using redsn0w rc19 (google it)

My guess is your SHSH wasn't ever saved.

5. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is the process I'm following. I have tried using a regular DFU mode as well as the pwned DFU mode.

My SHSH is not only saved on Cydia, but Tiny Umbrella shows my blobs from 4.2.6 all the way up to 5.0b3.

6. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I am having the same problem. I started a thread yesterday and someone suggested to enter dfu and use fix recovery in tu then try again. I haven't had a chance to try but will later on after work.

7. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

8. djdsas macrumors member

9. HiDEF, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

when you tried this, where you on a PC or Mac?

With that said; I've tries these steps on a Mac but I dont get the pineapple or the spinning ball. however, I do believe its installing the jailbreak because it loads the ram disk and then all the small white lettering starts to scroll down on my screen. From there, it reboots and then goes back to recovery mode.

10. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF