I CANNOT find my weather code

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ARF900, May 1, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Okay so im trying to use geektool to put weather conditions on my desktop but I cannot find my area weather code. I know Im supposed to plug in this area code to this geektool script

curl --silent "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=YOUR_AREA_CODE&u=f" | grep -E '(Current Conditions:|F<BR)' | sed -e 's/Current Conditions://' -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<b>//' -e 's/<\/b>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' -e 's/<description>//' -e 's/<\/description>//'

but I cant find it for life of me on yahoo. I also tried searching Mroogle but that doesnt really work because a lot of those older threads point to lynx which I have heard doesnt work on Snow Leopard (or does it know)

Im sure I am sounding like a total newb but can anyone help me? Thanks.

EDIT: FACEPALM I found what I was looking for, I tried a couple different keywords in google and after 2 hours of seaching I find it 5 minutes after making a thread here. Could a mod delete this please? Sorry

2. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

Where do you live? in the US we have 5 digit area codes. It is part of my address. The whole nation is divided up into area codes (for the postal service). Like mine is 66606. My old one was 66604 (same town, a few blocks over) in AZ it was 85295. We use them for lots of location based services here.

I don't know if there is an equivalent for weather location finding in other nations.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm presuming (I don't use Geektool) that the code you need is the one that sits after the location name in the URL, like the 12779396 here:

http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/michigan/grand-rapids-12779396/

If it's okay, I'll leave this open long enough for you, if you would be so kind, to explain the solution, in case someone else searches for the same thing?

4. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man