I cannot get my MBP to re-authenticate to a network to get IP access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BuleepMan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BuleepMan, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

BuleepMan macrumors member

BuleepMan

I am currently hospitalized long term. Don't worry, I'm healing nicely.

The hospital has free WIFI access when entering a User Name and Password they provide. When waking my MBP, I get an authenticateion window again and that has worked fine for over a week. Yesterday afternoon I opened up the MBP but got no re-authentiction request. There is a connection established with their router because I am given an IP address but I cannot get out of this local network to surf. FWI: I am writing this on my iPad Air which is having no problem connecting to the world. The iPad Air simply auto connects successfully without my input.

I have tried as many processes I can think of to get that re-authentication window to display. I have used the Network Utility, tried changing various settings and I even deleted the hospital network, powered down & restarted the MBP and started fresh again. No authentication window displays anymore. I am Mac, iPad and OS X savvy but do not understand much of the details happening screen. I am good at following given directions. So:

Any suggestions?
    • Can I force a re-authentication somehow?
    • Can I get the Mac (OS X 10.10.3 beta) to forget the network completely to start over? It always seems to remember stuff even when the network is deleted
    • Is there some .prefs file I could check and/or edit/delete?
    • I am comfortable entering things into the console if needed.
    • Can I share the iPad IP access with the MBP?

I have a 2012 MBP with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD running OS X 10.10.3 public beta. I know that the OS X 10.10.3 beta could be an issue but everything worked fine for days using 10.10.3 beta. I am currently using an iPad air running iOS 8.2.

Thanks everyone, Jim

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

What happens when you attempt to open the web page of the router?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Check to see if there are any Keychain items relating to the network. If so, delete them.

4. BuleepMan, Mar 17, 2015

BuleepMan thread starter macrumors member

BuleepMan

No web based page is availabe when I try to open the router address.

I tried to connect to the router and get Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server. The router does configure my MBP with an IP number, subnet mask, router and DNS.

Also: I tried to get IT help here but there is no one in house. The nurse called maintennce to see if they know anything but they haven't come to my room. I asked several people if there was some 800 number I coud call and no one knew anything abut that either. Someone ,somewhere has to be administering this network. Grr!

5. BuleepMan thread starter macrumors member

BuleepMan

Can't find any.

I never have done anything with Keychains so I ran the Keychain Access application and searched for entries related to the hospital router and found no entries. Any other way to check?

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Even if you do find some IT help, they probably won't know anything about a Mac.

7. BuleepMan, Mar 17, 2015

BuleepMan thread starter macrumors member

BuleepMan

First IT guy is stumped

I just found out that the maintenance folks here run the network. A guy just came up and basically tried what I had tried and said he has never seen anything like this on their network. :confused: He has sent for his supervisor who he said knows more about the network. She should be here soon.

And they don't seem to be unfriendly to Macs, so far.

Once again I think I broke everything, LOL.

UPDATE:

There are now 3 IT guys working on things and so far no solution. Periodically, they pass the room going single file walking quickly. I noticed a wireless node thingie right out side my door at the ceiling. That's probably why I have a strong connection to their network. I found out some employees who use the guest network for personal emails have complained of connectivity problems too. I hope they solve this soon because my iPad is more of a novelty for me rather than a real computer.

8. BuleepMan thread starter macrumors member

BuleepMan

Problem Solved

Thanks for your responses. It turns out the router was suffering a slow death. My machines were healthy. I have been without Internet for over 36 hours with severe withdrawal pains but it is up and working well now. They replaced the router.

9. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry