I cannot get VNC to connect to my Windows PC =(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by magiic, Aug 17, 2008.

1. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I have been trying for almost an hour now to get my MBP to connect to my Windows XP machine using TightVNC Server installed as a service on my Windows Machine and using Chicken of the VNC on my MBP. Im not sure why it wont connect, it just keeps timing out =(

2. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

Ok I got it working. Sort of. It connects and *works* but it's extremely laggy. I tried connecting from a different PC (a windows desktop) and it connected fine and ran just as if I was sitting at the PC, no lag at all. I was using TightVNC Viewer on that PC. Any ideas as to what Im doing wrong on my MBP. Could it be the trackpad or something?

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There are other vnc servers to try on the pc end. Perhaps ultravnc will work more smootly with chicken. You might even be able to connect using the screen sharing viewer, which is really vnc.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    Im not yet a Mac user but I'm preparing my "switch" and VNC is part of it since I'm using it on PC. On PC I'm using UltraVNC

One if the feature of UltraVNC ins the Single Click which means that it is the Server which connects to the client. This allows to remote control a machine which is behind a firewall without having to set up port redirection.

Is there a client for OSX which supports a "-listen" parameter so that the server can connect to it ?

Edit: I've found this : http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/blog/code/Reverse_VNC.html

I'll test it as soon as I have a Mac :)

Thanks for your help,
    Tex