I cannot print while using Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, May 28, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I know the printer is set up fine because I can print by clicking on the print button on the Safari browser menu.

I can print using the HP's print test utility for my printer.

I can even print on my wife's account side of the iMac, but I can't print my my account side while using Word.

Any ideas? I've uninstalled the printer software and have done everything but uninstall Word, which will be last result.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe your Word plist file is corrupt, and hers is good. To check that theory, find this file in the following path while in your account:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist

Drag that file to the Desktop
    Start Word. This will create a new plist file.
    Try to print something
    Does it work?
    If so, you found the problem. Just delete the plist file from the Desktop.

If not, then the next step would normally be to try it from another account. But, you already know it works in hers. So, you may want to just create a new account for yourself. Mac Help has good info on migrating to a new account. Just look up "account" and study what it says. You don't want to just delete your old one. You have to get your stuff out first.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks I really appreciate the advice. I'll give your advice a try and report back.

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Your first advice for dragging the plist file to the desktop worked flawlessly!

Thank you!!!

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great! You're welcome. Good to hear that the plist trick actually works once in awhile! Don't waste any time trying to figure out how it became corrupted. I sure don't know!