I cannot re install of snow leopard PLEASE HELP I am a noob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jarl69, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jarl69, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

jarl69 macrumors newbie

Macbook pro i7 ..... I am very new to computers and stupidly tried to dual boot snow leopard with ubuntu (game drift) Not sure how but now have no partition and no mac os x and ubuntu that won't use airport ....trying to fix with an install DVD I have got to a point it asks me to select a system to use to start up computer... at this point i select Mac OS X 10.6.3on Mac install DVD..... My mac then asks me what language i would like. then says preparing for installation. then it says Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer. and gives me an option to restore system from a time machine backup, i do not have a backup so that not an option. can anyone tell how to make it install from the DVD.... any help with this would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks:confused:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

is the disk you are using the right disk for that machine? The grey disks are machine specific and will only install on the machine they are shipped for.

3. onions macrumors member

what version of snow leopard is on the machine already? when you get the message "mac os x cannot be installed on this computer" it usually means the version that's on the mac is newer than the one on the disk you are installing from.

when you say you no partition, does the hd need to be formatted with the correct partition (GUID)?

4. jarl69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Cheers for the replies Old Wiz an Onions... The disc is grey and its for an iMac... and as for the partition I have found the partitions made at the time of installing ubuntu with what looks like all my original data, the Device is "/dev/sda1" Partition t:rolleyes:ype is "Apple HFS/HFS + partitions" .....mounted at "/media/macintosh HD" ...... any more pointers will be great ... an thanks again

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sorry, but the disc you are using will not work. The disc you are using is for an iMac and you need one for a MBP. The disc you have is incompatible. Try to contact Apple and get an original disk from them, or purchase the Lion installer.

6. jarl69, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

jarl69 thread starter macrumors newbie

which snow leopard ?

Hi again sorry i forgot to mention i think it was 10.6.4 .....and i tried to dual boot ubuntu game drift using rEFIt ... i have made an error in the installation, i just don't know what and how to fix. ....I found the partition with my data on it via Gparted in Ubuntu... I have just tried to change the partition and it is saying " The Deamon is being inhibited" Thanks again