I cannot read my toolbar!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ReiYamiHikari, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ReiYamiHikari macrumors newbie

I turned on my computer one day, and my menu bar and all of the text on the desktop- including finder windows- seems to be encoded. The same is for when I right-click, the dropdowns, and the menus and windows in Adobe photoshop and other applications.

I have no idea what's going on! Help would be much appreciated. I have a Tiger OSX.

[​IMG]

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ok, that's odd. First, have you restarted your computer? Second, have you made any modifications to the OS recently or installed any new apps?

3. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have not downloaded anything. I have restarted several times since this happened, it's been about two weeks since it appeared. Everything was normal, and one day I opened up Scanwise, and the whole window was filled with A's in boxes. I was hoping it would fix itself, but clearly, it hasn't.

I don't think it has anything to do with this, but for a year or so, I haven't been able to start up my iTunes or any messenger applications. Although i believe that's because this computer is old.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What are your system and OS specs? If it's been having these issues for a while like you say and now this, it's probably high time you reinstall the OS.

5. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know my system specs, I usually look them up via the toolbar, but... well... I can't really read it now, and I doubt I would be able to read it if it came up. The A's spread to system preferences as well, and I can't even use my tablet.

I'm asking here out of desperation, really. I'm supposed to update a webcomic that I colour with photoshop, and I can't use that, either....

6. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

WAIT, I got it up and I can read it!

Mac OS X Ver. 10.4.11
    Dual 500 MHz PowerPC G4 processor and
    512 MB SDRAM Memory.

7. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

You were screwing around with fonts in the system folder or your library, what did you pull out of the fonts folder?

8. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't pull anything out, but I did put stuff in a few days before this happened.

Edit: fonts, that is.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You're best off doing this. Especially since it's been a year that you've been unable to start up iTunes.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I asked you if you made any system modifications..... You did.

Try removing what you added, but I would still reinstall the OS because of this and the other problems you've had for a year.

11. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly don't know how to do that, I got this computer as a gift from my dad...

12. ReiYamiHikari thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, that counts?

Oops..

Well, I'll try that, then get back to you.