I Cannot Restart my iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by H4L, Dec 6, 2007.

1. H4L macrumors member

H4L

Hi there,

I am using a iMac, with Leopard, and yeah, with time machine (external harddrives connected whenever iMac is on)

Here is the problem,

everytime when I wanna restart my iMac, I will not turn off all the applications, including Safari. The problem is, everytime when I want to restart, it wont restart smoothly, it will say safari failed to shut down (something like that) and I need to force quit safari, and sometimes after force quit, the iMac will restart. but, sometimes it just hang, showing only my wallpaper, and I need to press on the button behind, and restart the iMac...

I am just wondering what is the problem with this, anyone having the same problem or anyone knows what the problems are?

Please let me know I am quite desperate and very fed up with needing to using this kind of bad way to restart my iMac...

:(

Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you have tabs open or multiple windows in Safari when this happens because if yo do Safari gives you a dialogue box that the user must confirm and the system will not let the shutdown proceed with that window open, leading to the situation you are describing. If so the solution is to close down the applications manually before pressing restart.

Or you can deselect the warning dialogue option in Safari preference, in Tabs and Confirm when closing multiple pages.

3. H4L thread starter macrumors member

H4L

Hi there thanks for replying yeah I have multi tabs on and multi pages as well...and i noticed they came out the notice and asked me whether i want to quit them everytime I click on "quit", and it will run for a while, then sometimes:

1. it will restart without problem
    2. the scroller will keep turning, until i go to force quit and check, the safari is "not responding"

i'm just wondering if i close down my safari "multi pages, multi tabs" and next time i restart my safari, when i go to reopen all windows from last sessions everything will show up right?

thanks...

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Manually quit safari before pressing restart. It seems there is a bug.

Yes they will.

5. H4L thread starter macrumors member

H4L

Hi there thanks I tried it works now!

Hopefully there'll be no problem in the near future ;)