I can't access Shared Folders from xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Liquid Q8, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Liquid Q8 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

I have installed windows xp and windows vista in my mac by VMware fusion (v 2.0 (116369))I used to access my shared folder from xp by the shortcut on the desktop, but suddenly I can't anymore when I click on the Z: drive (\\.host) it gives me this message:

Z:\refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

and the weird thing is xp connected to the internet! if its connected to the internet thats mean there is a connection between mac and xp. However, everything is working fine in vista!

I did tried:
    Restart windows
    Restart Mac
    Disconnect / Connect network adapter
    Switched the adapter to NAT (which is the default) / Bridge / Host-only nothing happen

any idea why is this happening or what am i missing?

Thanks in advance

2. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Can you just browse to the folder from My Network Places, instead of mapping the drive?

I used to hate drive mapping under XP, especially when IP addresses change, etc.

3. Liquid Q8 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi

when i click on the shared folder in my network places i get this message

\\.host\Shared Folders is not accessibel. You might not have premission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out what if you have access premission.

The network path was not found.

4. James Nachbar macrumors newbie

Can't Access Shared Folders from Vista

I had the same thing happen. The problem, in my case, was that I had disabled File Sharing on the Mac side. It has always bothered me that Macs are so promiscuous, and since I didn't need to share files from my Mac outside my Mac, I had disabled File Sharing.

Re-enabling it fixed the problem. Go to the "System Preferences" app on the Mac, and select "Sharing" under the "Internet & Network" category. Turn on the "File Sharing" checkmark. I don't think it matters if you have any folders under "Shared Folders" or what users you have set. I did not change the "Options", which have "Share files and folders using AFP" checked and FTP and SMB unchecked.

Further complicating troubleshooting this problem is that it seems that the effect of changing that checkbox is delayed, whether turning it on or off. It seemed to take about 15 minutes and/or a reboot of the VM to have an effect.

James Nachbar
    http://www.plastic.org

5. Liquid Q8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

i think my problem is in windows side and not mac side
    as far as i remember that starts to happen when something wrong went with xp while starting all what i need to do is "as all windows users" have to reinstall it

that would solve the problem :)

Thanks again

6. canoeflying macrumors newbie

actually it's a mac thing

I found that folders with spaces on the end of the folder name on the mac show up as truncated folder names on the windows clients connecting to the mac SMB share.

If you double click / open the folder on the windows client it spits out the above error.

Hope this helps others.

Canoe Flying!