I can't believe Apple sent me this unit...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boon doctor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. boon doctor macrumors newbie

Hi:
    I'm on a DoD computer here in the Middle East that won't allow me to access Apple's Support page, so I would like to present a question to this forum:

I bought a 2.2 SR MacBook a couple of days after they were released. I'm in Iraq, so I had someone mail it to me from the States (so I actually got it towards the end of November). The computer itself is great, but I've noticed several physical defects. Such as,

1) there are several spots of discoloration on the outside shell and inside around the trackpad. It's like splashing bleach on a grey shirt. That was ok, and I felt like it was something I should just deal with, but it's a brand new computer, so... and,
    2) the keys on the bottom row stick. They physically stick and pop and require more effort to get a response on the screen. Also,
    3) those aforementioned "spots" are also present on the screen even when it's turned off.

Should I call Apple and request a new unit? I didn't sign up for Apple Care, will that be a problem? Also, is a refund a possibility?

Thanks.

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

They might have an issue as they consider these problems as really minor, but as far as getting them to look at it, you are covered for support by basic warranty for 1 yr, and phone support for 90 days, both of which you are still within. (I may have flipped those, but I believe that that is what it is).

3. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

They should replace it at no cost. Was it damaged in shipping though?

4. boon doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. The 'spots' do not seem to be consistent with shipping damages, but on the other hand, the sticking row of keys does.

I suppose these damages are too minor to warrant a refund, but surely a new unit seems reasonable?

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

6. bslax28 macrumors member

All three problems sound like the consequence of something being spilled on it. Is there anyway that happened either in the states or on the base?

Keep fighting the good fight.

7. dguglielmo macrumors newbie

if you really want a refund...

I have had a lot of support as far as my macbook pro is concerned. My first one didn't even turn on properly i just went to the store and the replaced it. I also had some other troubles with my new one that they really tried their best to help me with(which they weren't much help but they tried at least-google was a better help then apple was). If you really want a refund just hassle them until they agree. I've seen people do things like this and heard stories of friends doing absurd things to get what they want. Just don't do anything that might get you arrested.

8. boon doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I certainly cannot rule that out. I broke the seal here, so I'm sure no one tampered with it back home. And it could've been something I used to clean it with, though I highly doubt it because the spots look like the result of a spray or just a bad paint (or whatever they use) job. The keys feel like they are catching in the indwelling of the keyboard, (maybe bad placement)? Definitely mechanical.