I can't believe how lucky I got!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by act1980, Apr 19, 2010.

1. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

Yesterday I posted a thread about my new MBP that I had just brought. The seal on the box was broken and the unit had a few marks.

Anyway, I called Apple today and they said I had to return it to the store where I brought it. I was not happy as it's an 80 mile round trip from home.

So, I called the Apple store where I brought it and they said it was fine to just bring it in a return it. I asked for a unit to be put by for me just in case I got all the way down there and they had sold out.

This evening on the journey down, I thought I would call them just to check, something inside me knew things would not be as easy as they should be. They then told me my Mac had not been put aside and they were out of stock. I couldn't believe it, we were already half way down there!

Anyway, I expressed my disappointment and the guy put me on hold and went to speak to his manager about what could be done for me.

When he got back on the phone he told me that as a gesture of goodwill for my inconvenience they would upgrade me to the higher end 13"!! I was so shocked, I couldn't believe it. I have just saved £250!!

So now I am happily tapping away on my new upgraded MBP! Apple, you did good!:D

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well is more about customer satisfaction, so congratsa!

However, please do not forget the £250 you "saved" is probably like £25 for them. ;)

3. funwithamar macrumors regular

lucky day , should have tried the lottery tooo on ur way back :D

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Nice customer service! Though of course, they should have reserved the machine for you in the first place.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

6. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

I know! That is great customer service, I'm so happy! Still can't believe it, definitely worth the travelling ;)

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The power of complaint :D

Which store did you goto?

8. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Indeed!!:D

I went to the store in West Quay, Southampton in the UK :)

I'm loving my Mac though, already taking the track pad for granted :D

9. choco macrumors member

choco

yepp. apple customer service is the best i've encountered so far. :cool:

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Nice!

Gestures like that make you feel lucky for a month!

11. ryan.hayes79 macrumors member

Nice!

Yes they should have got it right first time.

Yes they should have reserved you one.

The key to good customer service is always doing enough to get a positive response from the customer and turn a bad situation into a good one. You have gone from somebody that would have got what they paid for and been happy to somebody that has actually had a bad time and feel the need to praise them.

Pleased you got a good result and being calm, persistent and expecting a fair resolution is always the key. I have always had excellent service from Apple with that approach.

Enjoy your new toy.... :eek:)

12. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

At least some people are getting good customer service.. after 4 macbook pros with faulty displays, the apple guy told me that 3 replacements is the limit for customers and that they could only offer me a refund and I'd have to buy the laptop elsewhere then, since if you would do another replacement, my name would flag and the shop wouldn't sell any products to me anymore. :eek: .. ridiculous.. they sell me a faulty product, give me three faulty replacements and then tell me to go elsewhere ???! :mad:

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Congrats. I'm sure they are glad that you are happy.

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Cool, but i just wanna add one thing:
    You can't save money on something you didn't buy, or didn't plan on buying. For example, I want a new vacuum, but not enough for me to get a new one, but I can't say I saved $899 (one of the most expensive vacuum cleaners I've ever seen). Today I saved $1,700,000 by not buying a new car ;) (Bugatti Veyron)

15. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Consider yourself lucky, if you had bought it at Best Buy (no such thing would have happened), in fact Best Buy would have told you to stuff it.

16. nanotlj macrumors regular

On a bad side, I think your experience means that some apple retail stores sell "open box" as new. That is kind of cheating business.

I remembered I bought a powerbook in 2005 in apple retail store Arizona and did not realize it was an "open box" until I brought it in to repair the bad power adapter. When they finished the repair, I was shocked that my powerbook was registered under "Apple Store Chandler Refresh" in the printed repair receipt. While I was not completely sure what the "Refresh" meant in this case, it surely indicated that the powerbook was not sold to me brand new. A brand new product should be registered under no name until the buyer registered. In this case I did not register my powerbook with Apple yet.