I can't believe they missed syncing silent mode to phone switch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by evlfred, Apr 25, 2015.

1. evlfred macrumors newbie

Hopefully they implement it soon but wouldn't it be better to have the watch switch to silent mode when you slide the silent mode switch on the paired iPhone?

2. Ryxmd macrumors regular

3. lankox macrumors regular

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

What do you mean? Silencing our phone using the switch doesn't silent our watch also?

5. k3roro macrumors 6502

This is a great idea actually - with the amount of resources available at Apple, I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one full-time headcount dedicated to scouting a forum such as this for areas of improvement in the upcoming software updates.

6. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

That's unfortunate. So how do you silence the watch and can you do it quickly? I just assumed it would switch to match the iPhone.

7. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

So swiping up on the watch and hitting a icon is too difficult?

8. darkgremio macrumors 6502

All you do is cover your watch face with your hand and it'll vibrate for silence mode

9. sterl320 macrumors 6502

its in glances, so you just swipe up, and go the left farthest screen, and airplane mode, DND, and silent mode is right there, as well as a way to ping your phone.

10. fs454 macrumors 65816

It mandates you having that glance first and foremost. And doing an extra thing.

One of this product's main goals is to make you not have to do an extra thing here and there to complete simple tasks. I'm sure they'll change this in an update.

11. darkgremio macrumors 6502

12. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Cool thanks. I don't have the watch yet. Airplane mode will be a must when traveling.

13. sbharj macrumors member

I agree, would be great to have them linked. I'd also like the option to automatically turn of vibrate on my iPhone off when the watch is on so I'm only notified of calls/texts via the watch's taptic feedback. Then when I take the watch off, vibrate on the phone automatically switches on!

14. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

Totally agree. If you put your phone on vibrate rate the watch should automatically follow suit. Was shocked it didn't do this.

15. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

It would be great to have an easily accessed software toggle on the Apple Watch (something like force touch the watch screen with thee presses) that brings up on the screen:

Silence watch
    Silence iPhone
    Silence all

For example, if you have your watch in a coat pocket or briefcase etc. and a meeting starts and as it's going on your realize your iPhone isn't silenced, it would be great to discreetly tap your watch to silence all.

It was a really great suggestion OP.

16. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I hope if they do implement it in a future release it's optional, because this isn't a feature I want.

17. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Must suck to be lazy...

18. darrenpop macrumors 6502

This actually does silence sounds on my watch.

I was wondering yesterday why I was only getting taptic and no sounds from my watch, as soon as I flicked the switch on my phone back to loud, it started pinging again.

Also, my iPhone is, for the vast majority of time, on silent because of meetings etc. I have used it on and off since yesterday and works fine.

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Same for me.

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

My phone is on silent, but my watch is still making a noise.

It'd be nice to have the option for all 3. Tap to just mute/DND the watch, force to do both.

21. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Nice idea,but I figure I will be running the watch on silent anyway.

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

That's a stupid, stupid rebuttal.

Maybe it'd be fine if the phone didn't have a storable contacts feature, so you can have the pleasure of manually dialing every number you know. Don't like it? Must suck to be lazy.

23. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

This is the first of its kind for Apple. It's not going to be perfect. They will listen to people's response to their product, and make necessary changes. Maybe it's something they already have in the works... Or they don't yet.

This is the price of being an early adopter of a product, a NEW product.

Don't like it? Return the watch and wait until they add your feature(s) you're wanting. OR put your big boy undies on and live with it.

24. iregret macrumors 6502

My phone is always on silent, so I'm glad it doesn't work this way.

I wish they made phones more location aware so they would automatically silent at movie theaters. Hell, dim and everything. Make an entire movie theater mode. While I'm at it, I wish there was a system wide dark mode on all iOS devices!