I can't burn Ubuntu on a DVD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Raisen223, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Raisen223 macrumors member

I've followed the guide which they've typed out on their website for disk burning, but Disk Utility always fails the burning process. When I tried burning it on high speeds (4x~8x), it gave me an error saying that this particular disk drive could be incompatible, or the speed may be too much. Then I tried on the lowest speed possible (2x), and it gave me a medium write error.

The DVD is a DVD-R from Maxwell with 4.7 gigabytes of recordable memory. It's labelled on the disk that it can be used both for video and data; so I'm assuming that an iso should work just fine with no issues.

If anybody could tell me how to burn Ubuntu on these DVD-R's, that'd be swell. Thanks a ton in advance!

2. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

Update: I've now tried with a Sony DVD+R, with 4.7 gigabytes of recordable memory, and Disk Utility still gives me the same errors.

3. macenied, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I think it is an issue with the drive, not with the media. Normal DVD's can be burned with 16x speed, so 4x - 8x should be fine.

Before you head for a repair, try to clean the lens of the drive using a CD/DVD lens cleaner kit. I did this for the first time a few weeks ago on a 4 years old Superdrive and it helped.

I assume you have checked the integrity of your downloaded ISO file already, by comparing a checksum.

4. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if this is a lamebrain mistake, but no I didn't. How would I go on about checking the integrity of my ISO?

5. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I checked the checksums and they didn't match. I tried other mirrors on Ubuntu's site, I tried the torrent version, but none of them worked. Ubuntu says it can be a problem with their download server. Is there someplace else I could download Ubuntu from?

6. macenied, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Here is the checksum you should see for the x64 desktop version - "Erwartetes Ergebnis" at the bottom of the active window.

Attached Files:

• MD5.png
      MD5.png
      File size:
      171.8 KB
      Views:
  7. J232022, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

J232022 macrumors member

It does sound like a issue with the drive in my opinion , Why not try a Usb Drive its faster and more reliable than discs . Maybe you should try running a virtual machine and burning the disc inside that to see if there is any difference . It is worth a try , but it probably wont make a difference .

8. ST1300 macrumors newbie

9. Raisen223 thread starter macrumors member

I tried with a USB drive and it worked flawlessly, thanks. And yeah, this does seem like a drive issue. I'll send my MAC for repairs.

10. J232022 macrumors member

Happy to see it worked out for you and good luck I hope you get the drive fixed or replaced . Ubuntu is a very good os too and I highly recommend it .