I can't cancel my preorder? Seriously?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snoboarder8232, Jul 23, 2010.

1. snoboarder8232 macrumors newbie

So I went into ATT a couple days ago to cancel my pre-order for the iPhone 4. I walked up to the counter and told the sales rep that I would like to cancel my pre-order.

She pulled my phone number up and said "It looks like the order is in progress, I can't cancel it. It must have already shipped". Uhhh okay. "You know you will be charged a restocking fee for returning it, correct?" No... I'm pretty sure Apple said they would wave the restocking fee a few days ago. "Oh yeah... you're right".

So I leave the store knowing that the sales rep had absolutely no idea what she was talking about, and call 611 to talk to someone from AT&T. The end up telling me, "Your phone was not shipped yet, but we cannot cancel your pre-order because your AT&T store ordered your iPhone 4 in bulk. You'll have to wait until you receive your phone and then go and return it at the store."

Are. You. Serious.

Not only has my phone not been shipped yet, but my credit card hasn't even been charged yet. Obviously someone is going to purchase the phone if I don't get it. Why does it matter that they ordered in bulk? Now I'm stuck here waiting for my back-ordered phone to be shipped that I don't even want anymore.

Can someone please explain the logic of AT&T not being able to cancel my order. I've had nothing but trouble from AT&T.

2. tesilential macrumors regular

That really sucks, but on the plus side now you can play with it for a couple days before you return it.

Which you won't. ;)

3. .:ryan:. macrumors member

Yup, it's the truth. I went through all of this. I called and nagged for an hour and they finally cancelled it. I was in the EXACT same boat as you. Store pickup and everything. I threatened to disconnect our lines and move to version and then they finally cancelled it. So it is totally possible. Just be persistent. I went and bought an iPhone tonight and I'm loving it.

Good Luck!

4. frd333do33 macrumors newbie

I got the runaround from ATT as well. I cancelled two orders on two separate occasions and everyone told me they couldn't cancel it, so I just kept on calling back until someone would do it for me. Apparently, if you call and ask them to cancel and order and they reject you, they make a note of it on your account. After my 4th or 5th call, someone finally cancelled my order for me because they knew I'd just keep calling back until it was done.