I can't change an icon on my mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lala1886, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lala1886 macrumors newbie

I've been changing the application icons on my mac today, successfully. However, for some reason I cannot change my InDesign CS4 icon (only). I have uninstalled the app. and reinstalled and tried to change the icon but doesn't work. :(

2. loganmillison macrumors newbie

did you try changing the permissions of the app. like if you change everyone to read & write, it will work for me. like i have trouble pasting the new icon. but it will let me once everyone is changed. idk if that helps or in more specific what point it is preventing you

3. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Are you using CandyBar to do this? Every now and again my Google Chrome icon reverts to it's original icon for no reason. I just go back in and change it again and it works for a few weeks.

4. lala1886 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have checked and under the permission in Indesign and other CS app. are the same. :(

My Candy Bar trial has just expired :( If I want to change the Finder and the trash icon, do I need Candy Bar?

Attached Files:

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You don't need CandyBar. LiteIcon basically does the same job and is free.

6. lala1886 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ergdegdeg, now I can change the Finder and trash icons but how do I change application icons in LiteIcon???

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You can't do it from within LiteIcon. You either have to do it via the good old copy+paste or pay for an app that does it.

In case you don't know the copy+paste way: open the "Get Info" window for both the icon (in the right format) and the app and then copy the little picture in the top left of the icon info window and paste it on the little picture in the top left of the app info window.

To convert PNGs to ICNS, you can use Img2Icns.