I can't close touchcopy program

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jan 29, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Maybe I am missing something.......I am in the process of syncing my iPhone to my Macbook for the first time. I downloaded a free version of Touchcopy to move my music/videos to my Mac and to iTunes so I would have a copy. The program has appeared to freeze up.

I am used to a Windows computer, and aside from rebooting, you can usually just do 'Ctrl/Alt/Delete' to force a non responsive program to close. No matter how I try, I can't close the program. Is there an equivalent method for a Mac? I tried to right click on the program in the dock to select 'Quit'. When I open it, it's a blank window and the red X is non responsive. I can click the X, but nothing happens.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

command + option + esc

Another way:
    Open Activity Monitor, there you can quit it.
    To launch it, click on spotlight (the magnifying glass), type activity monitor.

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Thanks! Now the app is not on the dock anymore :confused:

Makes me wonder if the app is worth using if it crashed like that. Maybe I should look for a different app. This one only does music/movies.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If the app was not originally in the dock (when it was not running) once you close it it will not show up in the dock.
    All apps that you are running will have their icon shown in the dock.

Why you don't simply use iTunes?

In iTunes you can right click on the iPhone icon an then choose transfer purchases to have a backup to your Mac.
    Once you have the iPhone running iOS 5 you can backup to the cloud, provided that you signed up for iCloud, and set up iCloud.

There are some useful ones out there to manage things that iTunes don't:
    iExplorer
    Senuti

And fr taking pictures and videos captured with the iPhone you can use either Image Capture or iPhoto.

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Can't you just open the iPhone as a device and view the images/videos stored on it directly (read-only though)? You can in Windows, the iPhone is seen as a camera.

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

The app was on the dock and I couldn't get rid of it. It wasn't responding for some reason. When I went to try the option from the first reply, it was gone. So maybe all the times I 'tried' to close it finally worked at some point.

I didn't actually purchase any of my music through itunes. I got the music off the Internet for free. Will that still work?

I don't see anything but contacts and calendar backed up in iCloud. Where does all the other stuff get stored? And I assume it's only new content since iCloud was activated that I would see?

----------

Yes, I have all my photos on my Mac now.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to buy music from the iTunes store to use the iTunes app. It works with music you buy from other sources, as well as music you rip from CDs. By the way, piracy is a forbidden topic in this forum.

8. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Yes but the option "Transfer Purchases" will not transfer music you have on your iOS device which isn't purchased from the iTunes store.

9. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok then....I had the music already. But anyway, I don't see an option to transfer music. I used Touchcopy to get my music from my phone into iTunes. I didn't see another way.

10. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Right. That's why I used the Touchcopy program. It did transfer my apps though which of course were obtained through iTunes. I rarely pay for apps. If it isn't free, then I don't get it. The only one I paid for, and it was worth it, was the Slingbox app. I have $30 in iTunes credit burning a hole in my online pocket. I think I also have another gift card for about $25. I just can't figure out what I want to buy with it :rolleyes: