I cant Connect my Mac to my TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graydenp, Jun 8, 2007.

1. graydenp macrumors newbie

I guess I am retarded because I cannot get the dvi to video adapter (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac..._UserGuide.pdf) to work. So I connected the DVI to Video Adapter to my computer then I connect a video cord to the adapter and plugged it into my tv. Then I opened the system prefernces then clicked displays and then I clicked detect displays and nothing happend. Nothing showed up on my tv. I went and bought an s-video cord because I thaught that the normal yellow video cord would work but it did not . I would appreciate it if someone could help me out. Is there a step I am missing or not doing correctly.

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

did you select the input on your tv? to game or aux or line2 or something to let it get the signal from the alternate source.

3. KekelaNikol macrumors newbie

I just tried to do this for the first time last week and all I did was plug the DVI adapter into the S video cable and connect it to both the tv and laptop, then change the channel input on the tv to aux/video1/video2 - whatever plug the S video is in. Worked for me...

4. graydenp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I selected the right input. It said s-video. It is driving me crazy that i cant figure this out. I have been searching all over the internet for help and all find is how easy it is to get your mac to your tv using the DIV to Video adapter.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What kind of Mac are you trying to connect?

What cabling have you tried so far?

Mac -> DVI -> S-video -> TV

etc.

6. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

keep trying, you'll figure it out. it has something with the input selection on the tv.
    try the component cord if you're having trouble with the s-vid. it's doubtful that something's wrong on the computer side.

try plugging the yellow component into the game port on the front of the tv instead of the s-vid.

temporarily unplug other devices like dvd player, cable box, etc. so the other wires don't get in the way and add to the confusion.

if you suspect it might be computer related, try using a vid camera (my digital camera will plug into the tv as well) and then if you get that to work, then the computer will go into that input with the same settings.

when you find it, you'll kick yourself because it was so simple.

7. graydenp thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the lastest version of the mac pro and a year old mac book pro. I have tired it on both computers and two different tv's. I have also tired both an s-video cord and the yellow video cord as well. I have even tired both cords at the same time. I think that the problem lies in the DVI to Video Adapter itself. I think it might be a bad one. I am going to see if i can exchange it for another one today at the mac store and hopefully it will work. I appreciate you guys helping me out.