I can't create partition on my external hdd. error

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by wnuczus, Aug 22, 2016.

1. wnuczus macrumors newbie

wnuczus

Hi I have hdd my passport ultra 1tb and I tried create partition but I have this error

"Couldn’t modify partition map because file system verification failed. Please verify and repair each volume individually and then try again."

I read, that I should run Mac on cmd+s and use tool fsck -fy but its not work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What can I do?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You can begin by verfying if it's software or hardware for the external drive.

1) Download SATSMART Driver, which will allow OS X to read SMART data from USB/Firewire devices.
    2) Restart your Mac.
    3) Download SMART Utility to verify the SMART data of the external drive.

If the SMART data fails for the external drive, it's likely that it's a hardware issue and the drive needs to be replaced.

If the SMART data passes for the external drive, I would recommend running DiskWarrior to clear up the issues. This will almost certainly resolve the problems; it's the industry standard application for this sort of thing. PM me if you need to install DiskWarrior. :)

3. wnuczus thread starter macrumors newbie

wnuczus

Unfortunately I don't see my hdd in program. I only see my Mac'd hdd but in disk utility I see normal hdd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    Eh I bad read instruction now its working but my disk have 6 bad sector. So I need new disk yes? Can I repair this?

[​IMG]

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If the SMART test indicates failing, even if the bad sectors can be repaired I wouldn't trust the drive. Safest course is to buy a new one.

5. wnuczus thread starter macrumors newbie

wnuczus

This HDD its empty. It is only for TV series and films. I don't wanna use it for important data. Thank you for help. I know now everything what I need.

I have last one ask. If you know fix for this bad sector. I only want two partite
    I'll be grateful to you.

PS sorry for my awful English.
    I know my posts read terribly

6. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

My boss "fixes" these by low leveling the drive.
    Don't be fooled it will not fix just hide the errors for a short while.

not really fixable.