I Can't Delete Files in Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GS Owner, Sep 6, 2009.

1. GS Owner macrumors member

There are some files I would like to delete out of the Trash Folder, but when I do I get this message:

This is what I'm trying to delete:

:apple:Template 2
    :apple:Template 2 14-12-45
    :apple:Template 3
    :apple:Template 3 14-12-44
    Label Template
    Folder[Met-Art.Alisa]

Label Template is obsolete so I don't need it any longer. Template 2 and its friends are clones of Template, with the addition tag of an arrow on its lower left hand corner. And while I like looking at Alisa bare and beautiful body, she isn't my favorite centerfold; my Wife is.

The :apple:Templates came when I backed everything up everywhere on several Flash Drives. Every weekend I back up Everything, deleting obsolete files on the way. File Template had been updated and garbage copies sent to Trash. While copying files from one set of Flash Drives to another, File Template was copied into :apple:Template 2, to :apple:Template 2 14-12-45, etc. So here they are...Junk Files that I want to delete.

As I understand these obsolete files are ZipFiles. But so what? Every single time I's open them they would open another Folder[LaunchPad]. I never bothered to count how many times I deleted Folder[LaunchPad2].

So the Templates are from ADC. So What? The good and up-to-date templates are in use. Why can't I delete them?

As far as Permission, As I'm the sole owner of this iMac there is nobody better qualified to know why files need to be deleted. I want those files GONE!

But the Mac just won't delete the Trash Files. I can take the Flash Drives to the nearest Public Library and delete them that way, but it still doesn't help me get rid of what's in the Trash bin.

I tried moving the files to the Flash Drive where they came from (Control-Y for us old-timers). A few files did go back. But all the rest did was duplicate them selves. When you see a 32GB Flash Drive suddenly get almost a quarter filled up with junk you know something wrong is going on.

Yes, I just double-checked, I am listed as ADMIN.

How do I tell my iMac I no longer want these files and it will listen to me? I already reloaded Snow Leopard and it didn't work. I'm seriously thinking of going back to my Original Copy of Leopard and reinstalling from Stage 1.

I just had an Idea and IT WORKED.
    I have Leopard 10.5.6 in an external drive. I told the Mac to make the External Drive the Startup Disk and rebooted. I deleted the Trash files from the Flash Drive with no problem. Then I remade the Internal Drive the Startup Disk and rebooted again. The Junk Files deleted within seconds.

There has to be an easier way. Somebody PLEASE clue me in.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Open a Terminal window and type

sudo rm -rf /.Trashes ~/.Trash

Be careful to type the command properly, as this is one of the most dangerous UNIX commands if mistyped.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

also, they are probably locked items as well. If you go into "get info" tab, you can click on the "lockpad" icon and it will unlock it, enabling you to delete it!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible. However, the Terminal command I posted will delete locked files as well.

5. GS Owner thread starter macrumors member

I haven't locked a file yet. That was what was so frustrating.

I'll try the Terminal Sequence next time.

6. Skika macrumors 68030

I typed this and nothing happened:confused:

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I've had files in my Trash that don't want to be deleted, I've found that going into "Apple" > "log out (Account name). And then logging in again usually does the trick.

8. milomak macrumors member

i have the same problem. The terminal command returns

Code:
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/HWNetMgr.pkg/Contents/Resources/postupgrade: No such file or directory
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/HWNetMgr.pkg/Contents/Resources: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/HWNetMgr.pkg/Contents: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/HWNetMgr.pkg: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg/Contents/Resources/postinstall: No such file or directory
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg/Contents/Resources: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg/Contents: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents/Packages: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg/Contents: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash/MobilePartner.mpkg: Directory not empty
    rm: /Users/milomak/.Trash: Directory not empt
    This is a package from hell

9. RatHat, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

RatHat macrumors member

Have you tried this app:

Trash It

Works for me in deleting stubborn files.

10. milomak macrumors member