I can't download any torrents!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by athrael, Aug 15, 2009.

1. athrael macrumors newbie

I am very very very new to using MACs but I think I have a good hang of things. Trust me for buying it because its pretty huh and now I can't understand why I can't download any torrents. I tried using Transmission, Vuze and even uTorrent Beta and nothing happens. I'll get the torrents on said applications and then it just sits there, not downloading or uploading! So if someone could explain to whats wrong, in the easiet language I can understand, I'd appreciate it :) Thanks a million in advance guys :)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well it will depend if there's any seeds on the torrents you download. First, make sure there's a few seeds that you can download from.

3. athrael thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol. There are! That's what I don't understand. I even tried downloading something with 2000 seeds and nothing happens.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

are you behind a router or anything and do you have your firewall set to allow incoming connections for vuze?

In Vuze do Help > Nat / Firewall test.

Generally you'd still get some download speed with port not setup but that's a start

5. athrael thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I got this message after I did that test:

Testing port 47306 ...
    NAT Error - Connect attempt to 211.28.196.244:47306 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed.

:|

6. 1ne macrumors regular

As the other poster has mentioned are you behind a router?

7. athrael thread starter macrumors newbie

as much as i would like to answer that, i dont know what it means :| before this i was on a pc and i could easily download using utorrent.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That means how are you connected to the internet.

As in Cable modem with ethernet cable running to your computer or cable modem running to a router (linksys, netgear, etc..) then either ethernet or wifi connection from router to your computer.

Either way your port is closed so you are probably using a router.

also check system pref > security > firewall

what are your settings there?

9. athrael thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mike!

yes i just found out i am 'behind a router' and thanks for explaining that to me.

i checked the settings for firewall and its set to "set access for specific services and applications" and below that is a window that lists utorrent, vuze and skype and everryone of them says 'allow incoming connections"

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Lets use uTorrent.

Mac's firewall already lets you through so now we have to do the same with your router.

Since you didn't do this on your PC I assume your router has port mapping so go to settings > Network and click "Automatically map port"

Try that

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

If utorrent worked so well, why not just use it on Windows via boot camp.

12. athrael thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried doing that but I cant find 'settings' on my router's system. on utorrent, there is a tiny little dot at the bottom right hand of the window and it is green and it says 'Connection Working' but nothing is downloading or uploading. *sigh*

13. 1ne macrumors regular

Go to portforward.com. That should help if you have a router.

Good luck.

_

14. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

It's actually portforward, but you got the actual link right. Also: I like Vuze a lot better.

15. 1ne macrumors regular

Thanks. Typing way too fast.

16. nissangtr macrumors newbie

found a solution of my own

Hey, I see that not only I had this problem a little while ago. Sooo, everything that you said was same to me - lots of seeders, but nothing happening. I tried lots of torrent programs (I'm uTorrent user), but nothing ever worked. As I was looking for solutions on internet - nothing I tried helped, I even tried to look up ports, but everything there was good. So, long story short - it was internet cable that went straight to my Mac, who was blocking all the connections with another/different internet users. I figured out that when cable is plugged in - it blocks a lot of things, but when Mac is working over wi-fi - everything works - torrents, multiplayer games (on facebook & etc..). So, that's how I fixed my problem - got rid of the cable, who was really not necessary at all.
    Hope that this would help :)

17. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

"A little while ago". This was 5 years ago.

18. ashry macrumors newbie

ashry

I have the same problem, but I'm already using no cables! I mean, I'm having the trouble although I'm already connected via WiFi.