I can't download torrents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dassalock, Feb 26, 2010.

1. dassalock macrumors newbie

I'm fairly new to torrents. In the past I've used bit torrent and tomato torrent. I never fully understood how it worked, but somehow I got the stuff I was looking for. Now I'm trying to download something, but can't get anything to work. I tried Vuze, bittorrent and tomato torrent. I get the torrent, open them in these applications, and then nothing. it just sits there. status bar goes nowhere. Tried several torrents. I googled for more info, get answers about changing ports, routers and other stuff I have no idea what it is. I understand that some ISP block torrents? Can someone give me step by step, clear instructions on how to fix this without using too advanced terminology?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It also depends on how many seeders there are. If there are only leechers and no seeders, it won't download.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you might want to re-think your plans, torrents are generally bad news, and yes ISP's especially in britain are taking drastic actions of just cutting your service off in efforts to stop them being used,

it could be that your isp is just throttling your traffic, i dont think theres a definitive way of finding out exactly,

as for sorting it out without getting really technical, sorry, cant help most guides online only do the really technical ( ports and forwarding and such )

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed both on the ISP throttling traffic and on the tech-speak

I know Comcast here in the States takes a dim view on torrents and they have throttled in the past

5. dassalock thread starter macrumors newbie

" just throttling your traffic"

again with the ridiculous tech talk. Why are you guys even bothering answering if you can't help? You're making it appear as if my question was answered, preventing others who might have the answer to answer. You're wasting my time.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Nice response for someone asking for help.

:rolleyes:

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

charming, why not go talk to the software support boards for support?, they will very likely know more about torrents then anyone here, but unfortunately, they will baffle you with techspeak, in future, dont moan at us, no one is perfect ;)

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I use utorrent for the mac and it's always very speedy. It is true that some ISPs slow down torrent traffic, but are you sure that's what it is? Sounds like you're just trying to get a specific file, and there may be no one sharing it at the moment. I would test your connection with a widely available file (eg. download a popular CD or something), that will tell you if the problem is file availability or connection throttling.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're wasting our time! If you have such a nasty attitude towards those who try to help, you're quite welcome to find another forum. It's immature to criticize the same people you're asking help from. As far as I'm concerned, you're on your own!

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Actually they're bringing your post back to the top of the forum or Forum Spy, so they're doing you a favor, when your post could go to the bottom of the heap where it belongs.

Your post was answered by Bennie. Move along and try not to be so rude in the future.

11. Helo2050 macrumors member

o snap.

try transmision or utorrent for your torrents. I had a similar issue and it was because *I* was not seeding. It would not download ANYTHING unless *I* was seeding it also.

12. 92jlee macrumors 6502

1 - plug your mac straight into the modem, not the wifi box or a splitter

2 - SEED! Torrenting is about sharing not just taking, if you upload, your download will increase.

Hope this helps.

If not then a little more technical.

Use transmission for your torrents - preferences - network > randomize port

J

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Call your ISP support and tell them what you are trying to download and they'll help.

14. mac-matt macrumors member

haha yes do this. get transmission, if you still cant get it then go to the help page transmission offers and it'll walk you through it all.

btw dont actually call your isp support

15. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

+1 for Transmission. Lightweight. Easy to use. Nice UI.

P.S. Don't be a douchebag. Won't get you anywhere in real life or the interwebz.