I cant find T antenna substitute with wireless adapter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hass1324, Sep 27, 2013.

1. hass1324 macrumors newbie

HI all

let me just start of by saying thanks in advance for reading and i hope, helping me with my issues lol

i have just brought a PowerMac but i couldnt connect it to internet because it doesnt have a WIFI CARD which i wasnt aware it needed which is annoying.

I brought the wifi card.....it was pricey, the guy on the phone said the wifi card is usless if it does have a T antenna, something else which is missing :( at this point i wanted to cry haha because i cant find a T antenna anywhere.

My question is, can i install the wifi card and use a wireless usb adapter as a substitute for the T antenna to increase the strength and pick up my wifi signal on the group floor (powermac is on the third floor).

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You would use the usb adapter as its own wireless card and antenna. You can't use it as an antenna for the wireless card that you got.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What kind of PowerMac do you have? I've got a never used T antenna for a 1.8Ghz G5 at work you can have if your Mac is a G5 (not sure if it would work for a G4).

I never used the antenna because the G5 never needed an Airport card (always been connected via Ethernet so never a need). If you're willing to pay the shipping and can use it I'll try and find it at work and send it to you.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

It'll work on anything but the last generation (late 2005) Powermacs. So it will work. Apple remedied the situation by running an antenna through the case of the final gen PM's -- it is wired inside the casing. But the earlier ones need an external.

BTW, I have heard that an untwisted paperclip works.

When I owned one, there was a large third party antenna that I used with it, either Belkin or Gfriffin or someone like that made it.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

This is what I did with my G5. Works great! 5 bars too, without the antenna hack I had less than 1.

Attached Files: