iPhone I can't fix errors in maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Synchro, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Synchro macrumors member

I'm running iOS6 maps on a 3GS. When I spot a POI that's out of place, I go to edit it, and it asks me to drag the purple pin to the correct location, however, I can't drag the pin, I can only scroll/zoom the whole map. Is this a known bug or is there some workaround? Seems pointless for Apple to request everyone to fix stuff if the fixing mechanism is broken!

There's a lot that can't be fixed accurately - for example the 'place dot' and name of my town is several km up a nearby mountain. Other small villages nearby are placed accurately. However, it seems I can't edit the label position at all - I've just reported it as a general error.

It's been said that Apple's been using OpenStreetMap as a source for maps, but I've used OSM-based apps around here and it's generally better than what's in maps, so I wonder why they don't do more with that.

It all seems like a good job for Amazon's Mechanical Turk if ever I saw one.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Here's my advice, don't use apple maps. It's a steaming turd that someone should lose their job over.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I've read that you actually tap the screen on the correct spot and the pin moves, you don't really drag as it says.

4. Edslunch macrumors member

Keep your finger on the pin for a few seconds and it becomes moveable. Not obvious, but it works

5. PrometheusGeek, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012

PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

It works fine. Just tap and hold on the pin to drag it.

6. Synchro thread starter macrumors member

Ah! That's it. I'd only tried dragging it as directed a few hundred times... Seems an odd place to invent a new flavour of touch interaction - it's the first time I've seen that in any app.

After a delay, the pin kind of hops upwards and is then draggable, and the offset position is where it will drop, not where your finger is (so if you touch it and don't move, it still moves the pin).

Thanks.

7. topdrawer macrumors regular

i had issues dragging it at first it is not as intuitive as just dragging it but it actually makes more sense if you think about it. this way you don't accidentally drag when you are just trying to pan or zoom. also it is how moving apps around on the iOS desktop works.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Not the first time and it is designed to stop the hit quickly by accident or finger just brushing on screen and having pin move.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Actually, that's how it worked in iOS 1-5. But it is a gesture that isn't used elsewhere in iOS.

10. Synchro thread starter macrumors member

Well it does make sense, it's just that it tells you to do something else! It's not apparent that there are two drag modes, and the fact I even had to ask after many failed attempts means it's not obvious. I agree the modes have similarities with springboard rearrangment, but the affordance of the drag pin is misleading - and there's no equivalent in springboard: imagine if each springboard icon had a drag handle, but it didn't operate untill you'd put them in 'wiggle' mode...

11. Synchro thread starter macrumors member

Sigh. I've just noticed that the reason so many POIs need moving is because the map is out of alignment and just plain wrong in so many places. In the attached screen shot, the road overlay is the wrong scale, there are two roads that don't exist, one at the wrong angle, one going up a river, several going through bulidings, and that's just in one tiny 100m area! I've reported it, but there's clearly no point in fixing/reporting anything else until the bigger problems are dealt with. It's one of those "I wouldn't start from here" problems.

Attached Files: