I can't get ATT Service out here....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stokes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

The only carriers out my way are US Cellular and VerizonWireless...
    I was really hoping on getting an iPhone to go with my new Macbook, but I'm at a loss....

Any ideas on something else that would work?

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Who is ATT? They sound awfully similiar to AT & T .... I smell a lawsuit!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There are ways of hacking the iPhone to work on other networks. I'd suggest searching the forums here. Good luck.

4. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

Verizon is definately CDMA (The iPhone is GSM only) and I'm pretty sure US Cellular is also CDMA, at least they are here in Eastern Oregon.

In that case you are out of luck. We have Unicel here which is what I'm roaming on using a prepaid T-Mobile SIM. While they are going to get swallowed by Verizon they are supposed to keep their GSM network running for roaming income. Have you checked to see if Unicel is in your area?

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Unicel in some places, like here, is CDMA and always has been.

6. kermit4161 macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation. Do you know someone that lives in an AT&T service area?

I was thinking about purchasing an iPhone and using a relative's address to set up my account/billing, then just roam in my area. The user terms state that AT&T *can* terminate your service if you use out of network networks too much... but you won't be charged a termination fee if they do.

I'm not sure what the quality of calls would be in a roaming only situation. I've heard of people in this state (Wyoming) who have done this though, will good results so far. I'm gonna wait until the new 16GB version comes out before buying one... but I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Where in Washington can you not get at&t. I've been all over the state and have never had any problems. The map attached shows their coverage. I'd suggest entering your ZIP code into their website just to make sure. Plus, my home town is in a hole in their coverage but I still have a phone.

Considering that at&t mobility is basically based in Seattle, I'll bet you can still get an iPhone to work.

TEG

Attached Files:

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Do you live in a rural area?
    AT&T has trouble with rural...

9. Stokes thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in very rural SW Washington. If you were on Hwy 6, heading out from Lewis County towards the ocean, I'd be right near the county line.... my zipcode is 98572, but I don't even live in the little town where it is based, I'm a few miles outside of town.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I forgot how much of a mountainous area that was. I'd suggest trying it. There is plenty of coverage in patches around there, you might just happen to fall in one. at&t will allow you to purchase, I just tried.

TEG