I can't get my Mac (or Boot Camp'D Vista) to recognize my SD card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tallest Skil, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Title says it all. It doesn't show up on the Desktop in OS X, nor in Disk Utility, and in Vista, I can see it in "Computer", but clicking on it crashes Windows Explorer.

I have some pictures on it already, but wiping them to reformat isn't an issue. I just don't know how I'll reformat when neither OS can see it...

I'm connecting it with a Targus USB to SD adapter and it's an SDHC 4GB card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Have you had the same card working in the past? Do you have another card that you can try?

3. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have another card... 45 minutes away. It worked... I don't remember if this one ever did.

4. Googon macrumors member

Maybe you locked the SD card? Or your reader is faulty.

If there is a tiny switch on the SD card, slide it to the other side, and it will probably work after that. Most cards come pre-locked, and you have to unlock it yourself so that you know the card has a lock function to begin with.

-Ryan.

5. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I reformatted (in the camera) and tried the switch both ways on both OSs. Nothing.

OS X wakes from sleep if the dongle is plugged in or unplugged, though... It just doesn't recognize the disk image.

6. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The reader is fine, it works with other cards. The card is fineish, my camera can take pictures with it. Other cameras cannot use it; they say it's locked. If I flip the switch the other way, it still says that it is locked.

7. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry for the triple post, but no one seems to care.

Can OS X even READ SDHC cards?! I've tried two of them and neither worked, but a 512MB card did.

If not, what do I need to get it to read SDHC?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

9. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay. The dongle works with all manner of SD cards, but not my 4GB or anyone else's 4GB or 8GB.

The dongle might not be able to read SDHC. How can I find one that does?

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Would this be the Sandisk Micromate by any chance? I can't get it to work in Vista or OSX either.

11. violinmaster macrumors newbie

Sandisk Micromate reader requires full usb power

Hi folks,

I just had success plugging the Micromate reader into one of the usb ports on a usb 1.1 pci card in back of my Powermac Quicksilver running OS X.4.11. It did not work at all on the keyboard usb port perhaps because of the low usb power output there, and there's not enough space for it around the original usb ports in back. It blocks one extra usb port on the pci card in order to fit.

The Micromate worked fine with both SD and SDHC cards, importing smoothly into iPhoto 6. It also worked great on a Macbook's usb 2.0 port.

Bottom line, in order to use this reader you'll need to get full usb power to it and plug it into a port with enough room around it to fit, or get an extension cable.

Cheers! :rolleyes: