I can't get rid of this application.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve knight, Jun 5, 2010.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have a app that has gone rouge and eats up 100% of my processor. well I removed it from system prefs but it still loads on reboot. but I can't find the file with spotlight it won't locate it. system profiler shows it as /usr/sbin/comapcpowerchute.app but I can't locate it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's software to control an APC unit. You can uninstall it using the original discs that you installed the monitoring software from.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes I know what it was. but I don't think it had a uninstall feature. I guess it won't hurt to try installing it again.
    opened up the dmg and there was a uninstall routine.
    the program worked great then it just started eating up all resources. I wish they would update the software it is very out of date. 4 years out of date. makes me think this will be the last apc ups I buy.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

You could perhaps get rid of it by downloading Tinkertool or a similar utility and selecting the option to make invisible files visible. Once visible, navigate to the app in question and trash it. That is, as long as you're sure it has nothing to do with operating your computer. Also, check the accounts tab in system preferences for Login Items and delete it there.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Powerchute is indeed dreadfully old. I think they stopped updating it because the built in Power Management features of OS X will recognize and handle the UPS without additional software.

I personally own APC UPSs and they work find without powerchute. I don't think most UPS brands are including Mac software nowadays.

To correct the poster above, software like is handled by a launchdaemon, not a login item (launch agent). The uninstall routine would handle the removal though.

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

it would be nice to know whats going on with it though. I don't think osx will report if there was a outage or brownout like the software will on the windows version. the osx version of software did not seem to show much of anything either

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

OS X will tell you it is on battery power. That is about it.

I actually have on of the newer APC units that will tell you how many events there have been, and gives other stats like watt usage and incoming Volts.

8. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

you mean one with the front display? mine has all that but only with the windows software. it is only a year old.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I did not want to spend that much I only want protection from blackouts and brownouts. I don't need to worry about getting work done.

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The main reason is that I have a Mac Pro. So anything under 1500VA isn't going to cut it.