iPhone I can't ignore messages anymore

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jardins de Vin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Talking about iMessages here. So when I get a message, while doing something already (basically: while the iPhone is not sleeping) a window will popup with the message and two buttons: reply and close (I think).

Now let's assume I do not want to reply right now, and I don't want to person to read it either (that's the point now). Obviously I won't click reply, instead I'd click close. But what "close" does is mark the message as read, and therefore the other person will know that I've read the message. It doesn't make any sense also because basically I've got two buttons which both mark it as read… I'm not sure since when it does that, but it's annoying. Yes – I could turn off read receipt, and no I won't do that because I want to keep it. So that when I read it for real - they know. :) I'm not sure but I think if I click the button at the top of the iPhone, to put it in sleep mode, it will eventually not mark it as read. But, like I said earlier, this happens while I'm already doing something on the phone, and not while the phone is sleeping, so obviously I'd like to continue what I was doing, and not put the phone to sleep to wake it up again to avoid the person who sent me the message to see that I've read their message ;)

The iPhone thinks it's extremely smart and marks it as read only because the message was displayed and it believes I've read it. Why doesn't it do that when the message appears while the iPhone is sleeping, not so smart dear iPhone, huh? ;)

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Are you using a third party messaging app? The stock iOS 7 iMessage app doesn't have the reply and close buttons you are talking about. If you could provide more detail, I'm sure it would help.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Just turn off read receipts.

Why does it matter so much that someone has to know that you read the message? I hate that feature. I often read messages and reply later on - this whole 'read' thing makes you feel the need to reply.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When set to not use the banners and use the iOS 1-4 styled alerts, it does have a Reply and Close button.

5. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I see. I had not even bothered to try that before. Thanks for the tip.

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I am not using any third party apps, I am using iMessage. :) I will not turn off read receipt, I've written this in my original post with hopes nobody would say this later. I do want people to know I've read their message. This way they won't worry why I'm not responding and know I'm just in a hurry. That's how it works with us.

But actually even turning it off won't solve the problem. I don't want the message to be marked as read (for me too) in the first place, otherwise I forget which ones I've read and which ones I have to respond yet.

Perhaps someone could observe if they have this issue too? Thanks :)

7. kolax macrumors G3

Solution is to turn off read notifications and revert back to iOS 6/7 style notifications until Apple fix it.

Report your bug to Apple: https://bugreport.apple.com/

8. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Ok I will do that. But can you confirm then, that you have this bug as well? Can anyone confirm this actually? That's what I'd like to know – it may only be an issue with my iPhone.

Edit: Can't report the bug, I'm not a developer… Is there another page where people can report bugs too? :)

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Can you not switch to banners rather than pop ups so it shows the message at the top of the screen and if you want to reply straight away you press it and it goes as normal but if not just let it disappear or swipe it up to get rid and it will still show as an unread message once you have done what you were doing and go to the messaging app?

10. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

No because the banner disappears from alone, plus I may miss the message because of this.

11. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

In Settings > Notification Center > Messages do you have "Show Preview" on or off? With no preview maybe the message won't get marked as read. Just a thought, not sure if that will work or not.

12. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If the phone is locked then any messages will show on the screen (with or without the message text depending on your setting choice) and if you are using the screen then any banner is very noticeable so you would only miss a message if you then forgot about it but the red badge over messages would remind you. Then if you still arent 100% sure you can set the double reminder so your phone beeps again after so long if there is still an unread message.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Hitting close does not mark the message as read on my iPhone. The badge icon remains saying there's a new message. As for read receipts to the other user, I don't know, I have them turned off.

I don't have a developer account and I can log in to report issues.

14. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I turned off preview, and it worked. So it's really because we see the message that it marks it as read, pff… I'm wondering if it also does that when the message it too long to be displayed in the preview? It's a smart but very dumb system. :)

And weird that I can't login there. Don't know the reason…

15. Triangle Man macrumors member

They're assuming that since you dismissed the message, you actually looked at your phone and read the message that you are dismissing.

16. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

17. kolax macrumors G3

Well if you got 3 messages, and wanted to dismiss them as read because it wasn't anything you wanted to reply to, then you'd have extra steps to mark them as read. I see that as a much bigger inconvenience compared to your woes.

18. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Well you don't really have a choice. Even if you have no time and are in a hurry, Apple will decide that you've read the message. You can only have read the message, there's no other option.

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Switch to banner notifications instead of alerts and use the notification center to see what you missed.

I absolutely DESPISE the old alert system on the iPhone.

20. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I've already suggested the use of Banners etc which will help the opening poster here but he's dismissed it for some reason when i think it will be exactly what he is looking for.

I have it set to these and it works fine.

21. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Look…

- I hate the banners.
    - I want to quickly read the message sometimes (without them knowing I did), which is not possible with the banner, because it disappears after a few seconds
    - Now you'll tell me why don't I turn off read receipt, if I don't want them to know I read the message
    - Because sometimes (very often actually) I do want them to know I've read it, so what should I do, set it read receipt on and off all the time?
    - People at Apple are dumb. If someone sends me an ultra-long message and I read 2 lines of it in the preview, how can it be marked as read? It's not read.

I could go on but…

22. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey man,

Unfortunately what you want isn't possible. You can submit feedback to Apple through their website. I don't have the exact link but if you google: apple iphone feedback, it should come up.

It seems like the best solution for what you want is banners. I know you "hate" them, but that's the only thing that will give you a short preview of the message and not mark it as read. You can also go into notification center to see what you've missed without marking anything as read. This seems to solve everything you're asking for.