I can't imagine Apple putting anything more into iPad (4th Gen)...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1080p, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Seriously... now we have the retina screen... what could they possibly do to 4th Gen to make me want it like I wanted this one?

2. Tones2 macrumors 65816

128 GB, quad core CPU, Tactile display, smart bezel, microSD slot, Siri, 8 MP camera, super omeled plus, thinner and lighter, increased battery life, better screen color hue control, etc.....

Tony

3. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

LOL, thats what they always say. and apple always finds something new to add that will make you want to upgrade,

It was just like with the iphone 4, everyeone was like what more could they POSSIBLY add, the phone is perfect.

Well, guess what? they added siri on the 4S and everyone WANTED ONE!!!! (including me :D;) )

they will find something that will make u want you to upgrade to the new iPad.

4. mtj111 macrumors member

Most obvious thing is upgrade to quad core like every other high end 2012 tablet.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Think outside the box.

6. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

128 GB

Big maybe

quad core CPU

Given... but dunno if I would rush out to get it for that...

Tactile display

If it happens... then yes... it would be revolutionary

smart bezel

Don't see it happening. Too complicated for people. Apple likes simplicity.

microSD slot

Never in a million years

Siri

Once it is out of BETA, I think even the 3rd Gen will see Siri

super omeled plus

BWAHAHAHAHA! No. Never.

thinner and lighter, increased battery life, etc.....

Probably... but not real sales point for most...

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I was just thinking this, actually. I know there are the perennial upgraders, the curious, etc., and while I definitely have such curiosities about some of this stuff, it's generally to fill specific upgrading needs. For instance, I waited on Lombard to get a Pismo because the board would be G4 compatible but it was the last of the old design of PowerBook (pre-Ti/Al). I have a Mac Pro 1,1 (that's still in daily use) that represented the desktop workstation transition from PowerPC to Intel. And after having a string of MacBook Pros with the old Al design, I waited to upgrade to a unibody 5,1 because that solve a core problem with flexibility/durability (though I seriously miss the old keyboards, and I'm probably alone in that).

For the iPad, I have gotten all three.

original iPad: They should have had 512 MB of RAM in this device. It was hamstrung by this one problem in my opinion, and there did not seem to be any real cost barriers.

iPad 2: This one solved the memory problem, which made every part of the experience better. Recall there were rumors of retina for the iPad 2, which obviously were premature. I did get a yellow display that I hated, but I dealt with it by wearing tinted glasses (kidding).

iPad (2012): Or whatever it's called (apparently even Apple is not consistent on this naming scheme across their references to it). Now with retina and 1 GB of RAM, this is the last iPad I'll be buying for awhile. There are no fatal flaws in this one on paper. To me, this iPad represents the sweetspot until the next few years: will be able to enjoy it now and long after other "upgraded" models are released.

8. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree with this. I LOVED my iPad 2 but in my subconscious it always felt like something was missing and when I beheld the superlative retina display on the iPad 4G I realized what it was. I believe I may be content with this for quite a few cycles. The only reason I will upgrade is because the specs of the iPad will no longer be advanced enough to properly run iOS 8 or whatever. However, I said the same thing when I bought the iPhone 3GS and found myself standing in line for the 4.

9. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

There's always something to add. Inductive charging, new CPU & GPU, 128GB of local storage, led backlighting. Tech moves fast, just takes time for prices to drop. The new iPad should last you a few years if you don't want to upgrade.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They will prob get rid of 16GB as base next year.

32, 64, 128.

Also, I believe I new design (every 2 years) and one thing that hardly any one mentions...a bigger screen. It'll go from 9.7" to 10.1".

11. JohnDG macrumors member

Thus the name, the "New iPad": this is pretty much the form factor going forward. There was a big change between the iPad 1 and iPad 2 with the addition of the cameras. Everything going forward from now will be enhancements to the current features in-place.

The simpler name also helps with the differentiation for the forthcoming mini.

jdg

12. sinar macrumors regular

Thinner, lighter, faster, more capacity

13. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I'll enjoy my iPad 2 and wait until the next release.. I was really hoping they would have released a 128GB version on this release..

For the next iPad they'll probably just add some bells and whistles and it'll come off as a mediocre refresh but since I'm not buying iPad 3 that'll be enough for me to purchase iPad 4...

14. urkel macrumors 68030

Thank goodness you don't work for Apple. Technology should (and is) constantly be moving forward so there's still a lot that can be added. In fact, I fully expect the next iPad to be the one I want to keep for 2 years while this one will likely be gone in 11mo.

15. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

The future is hotter..?

Apple used slight of hand when they brought out the original iPad.... Let me tell you why.. They were able to package a microcomputer as a tablet, reduce the CPU capacity by about 50% or more from that in a MacBook and were able to make the 'less is more' mantra work..

My 3 year old MacBook Pro's dual core intel CPU runs at 2.53Ghz and gets pretty hot when I push it... it gets pretty warm when `i don't push it. My iPad 2 with its 1 Ghz dual core A5 (ARM derived) CPU runs smooth and cool... yes it lacks punch in certain areas .... but the 'less is more' matra in a tablet form makes sense...

It is really tough to work out were Apple will go next. Increase the CPU speed, well yes, that would be nice, but not at the expense of having cooling ducts and fans.... They have not yet worked out a way to run CPU's fast and cool, this is beyond physics I think...

16. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I think (like a lot of others before me) thinner, lighter, better CPU and hopefully bigger capacity. Oh and Siri & better front/back cameras. Maybe flash for the camera too!

Although, I think at this point I'm getting more interested in iOS, they already have super hardware...but the software is lacking. I hope iOS 6 is an incredible update.

17. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

iPad4 will add the LED flash for the camera and add a newly developed camera, not a recycled one off an iPhone.

They might even allow FaceTime over cellular but they might save that for the iMat. :D

They will bump the CPU performance but battery life will remain the same.
    iPad2 will be discontinued and price dropped to $449 for the 16gb WiFi model.

All apple disciples will roar with praise.

18. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I respect the other opinions here.

For myself and I suspect a few others, we have a very specific value proposition in mind for, well, everything perhaps. So for me, none of the features so far listed are compelling enough reasons for me to upgrade from here on out. I'll pay all day for a retina display, minimum necessary RAM, and power efficient but capable graphics, but an SD card slot or anything short of significant weight savings (think sub 1 lb) is really that compelling for the price.

Oh yeah, the camera. To me a front facing camera makes all the sense in the world for video chat. But the back facing camera has always been awkward to me, and I never use it in the world of phones with real cameras for quality and decent phone cameras for convenience. So if that is upgraded from iPad to iPad, it does not factor into my buying decision at all, unless it makes the price obviously more expensive, which would serve as a deterrent.

19. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Storage. They need to at least double the storage space in the next version. Capacity is going to become a huge problem once the majority of apps have been optimized for Retina.

I have the 32 GB and I'm already managing my space. Can't imagine how you even store enough apps to make it useful on the 16 GB version.

20. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Totally agree. The new iPad is such a complete package. I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade my 64GB model. Its still amazing how many 1st Gen iPad owners are still happy with their devices. I think I will buy my 'next' iPad when this one dies. Im hoping I get at least another 3-4yrs out of this by then. Also by then whatever the new iPad is, it will have been a monumental improvement over the third gen. Retina and 1GB ram was all I ever wanted.

----------

Back in iPad 1's day that would have been enough but not compared to the new iPad.

21. nrnoble macrumors newbie

Before I make a new thread that likely has been ask\answered many times...

Question: Is there a way to subcribe to postcast on the iPad?

If not, what are are some solutions to make it easy get podcasts onto the iPad?

I have a Mac with iTunes (OS 10.7.3 and iTunes 10.6)
    I have a PC with iTunes (windows 7)

My new iPad is the version released on March 16th. It is my first iPad. I've owned Macs for several years, but only had a Video iPod prior to the iPad. No iPhone or iTouch. With my video iPod, I've always just connected it to the Mac and did a sync. I am hoping things are slightly easier now that I have a wireless iPad, and the very least I can do a wireless sync. Ideally, it would be automatic.

Thanks for any suggestions.

22. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Apple fans always expect way too much. It'll probably be a few nice upgrades like an ARM A15, dual core, and the iPhone 4S camera instead of the iPhone 4 camera. Front camera the same, because internet bandwidth won't have changed that much. Maybe 128 GB storage but probably still 1 GB of RAM. Same battery faster charger. And one awesome new piece of software yet to be disclosed. And a redesign of the GPU.

You heard it here first!

23. MathiasVH macrumors regular

My idea of next years iPad:

- Quad core CPU w. "up to twice the performance" and all new design (Main selling points). VERY little change in thickness, maybe a tad lighter. "Most beautiful product we've ever shipped".
    - 2*faster GPU. "This thing screams".
    - 1GB RAM (Unchanged)
    - Same battery life, but with an updated charging system for faster charging.
    - Siri (I think Siri is going to be included for everything from iPhone 4 and iPad 3 -and later models in iOS 6, so that's a given)
    - NO tactile display.
    - Still a 16GB version
    - Added 128GB version
    - Worldwide LTE
    - iPhone 4S camera on back and 720p Facetime-front camera

And that is IT. Make a note of it. I haven't been this sure about a future Apple-product for a long time.

24. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Quad core CPU instead of the same one from the last model made to seem like its improved on the CPU side when its not.

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

iPad 4?
    While they have no incentive to add it, I'd love a microSD card slot.
    Then a great flash for the camera.
    Then make the battery ANOTHER 40% larger.
    Then sharpen the edge so the cuts it gives you draw blood.
    Quad core the whole chip.
    Add haptic feedback.
    Make the Apple logo on the back pop off to reveal a tripod/handle mount.
    Since "fatter" is now the direction they are heading, move it up to 1/2" thick and add real USB 3.0 and HDMI ports.
    Lastly, make it available in iPod Nano colors.

JMHO