I can't make a decision!?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ryan.stewie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

I'm in the market for a new computer. But I'm stuck between the:

2008 Refurbished:
    24-inch glossy widescreen display
    2.8GHz
    2GB memory DDR2
    320GB hard drive
    8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Discrete with 256MB of GDDR3 Memory

OR

2009:
    20-inch glossy widescreen display
    2.66GHz
    2GB memory DDR3
    320GB hard drive
    8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    nVidia GeForce 9400M Integrated with 256MB Shared Memory

I'll be using it for the usuals, small photo editing and video editing (nothing major though), a bit of Handbrake, viewing video, and I'll be doing a little bit of gaming, nothing more intensive than Spore though.

Screen size doesnt worry me much, but the RAM and Graphics cards do, a little. I'm not exactly a computer genius, but I know the new nVidia chip is integrated making it probably much worse than the old ATI 2600 card, I couldnt find any benchmarks though. Is there much difference between the two? And how much of a perforance boost will DDR3 RAM provide over DDR2? Whats the quality of refurbs, the fact that its "refurbished" turns me off it a bit. I'm also a bit concered over whether the ATI card will be OpenCL supported in Snow Leopard. Also, I can't afford to pay ANY more than one of the 2 iMacs above (thanks for the price hike Apple).

Sorry 'bout all the questions, I just really don't know which to get? Please help.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It would be a no-brainer for me. Go for the 24" - the screen is MUCH better quality.

Refurbs are generally exactly like new - with the exception of the box they come in (sometimes). About 75% of the new Apple gear I've bought over the years has actually been a refurb - never had a problem

3. cold macrumors newbie

cold

The 2008 model is faster:

http://www.macworld.com/article/139350/2009/03/imacs_2009_benchmarks.html

- better graphic card
    - faster processor
    - bigger screen

- ddr2 is almost as fast as ddr3 but costs less, so you can easily upgrade to 4gb
    - don't bother about OpenCL and Snow Leopard, it will run as smooth on your machine as on the newer ones

I would buy the 2008 model.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

+1 for 2008 Model.

I have also purchased from the refurb store and purchased used. The refurb store machines are pristine.

5. dn325ci macrumors newbie

I bought this exact same refurb. Pristine when it arrived a few days ago. My machine actually arrived in a better spec than I order, but I don't think you can count on that. A great machine in any case. Save your money with the refurb - you won't regret it.

Don

6. Matt Dean macrumors newbie

I had the exact decision to make and, because of the video card scenario, I went with a new 2008 24". Couldn't be happier. MAN, this thing is snappy!

I have always had G5's and MacPro's and I thought I would find the iMac a step down. Can't say I see much difference at all. And yes, the screen is gorgeous.

Get the 2008 before they run out - which will be very soon.

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

8. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I don't usually think like this, but definitely go for the refurb. You've got a bigger screen (and the 24" uses a better panel than the 20"), a faster processor, and better graphics. You can upgrade to 4GB RAM for not much money and it'll be great.

9. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Go for the refurb. I had the exact same decision to make and yesterday got a new cut-price 2008 24in 3.06 Ghz with GT8000 card and it's blinding!

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i'd probably go for the refurb.

cheaper to upgrade RAM immediately and a faster processor makes everyone happy.

not to mention the giant screen.

my girlfriend's mother has the 24" 2008 model and it is SEXY

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Lol. Are you getting the message yet, OP? Sounds like its a resounding, "REFURB!" lol.

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I would have to go with the overwhelming consensus here and say get the refurb.

14. Lexlee macrumors newbie

I just bought the new 24' iMac which is great, but if I had to choose between those two I would get the refurbished. Apple support is great incase something goes wrong.

15. ryan.stewie thread starter macrumors regular

ryan.stewie