Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan.stewie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Australia
I'm in the market for a new computer. But I'm stuck between the:

2008 Refurbished:
24-inch glossy widescreen display
2.8GHz
2GB memory DDR2
320GB hard drive
8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Discrete with 256MB of GDDR3 Memory

OR

2009:
20-inch glossy widescreen display
2.66GHz
2GB memory DDR3
320GB hard drive
8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
nVidia GeForce 9400M Integrated with 256MB Shared Memory

I'll be using it for the usuals, small photo editing and video editing (nothing major though), a bit of Handbrake, viewing video, and I'll be doing a little bit of gaming, nothing more intensive than Spore though.

Screen size doesnt worry me much, but the RAM and Graphics cards do, a little. I'm not exactly a computer genius, but I know the new nVidia chip is integrated making it probably much worse than the old ATI 2600 card, I couldnt find any benchmarks though. Is there much difference between the two? And how much of a perforance boost will DDR3 RAM provide over DDR2? Whats the quality of refurbs, the fact that its "refurbished" turns me off it a bit. I'm also a bit concered over whether the ATI card will be OpenCL supported in Snow Leopard. Also, I can't afford to pay ANY more than one of the 2 iMacs above (thanks for the price hike Apple).

Sorry 'bout all the questions, I just really don't know which to get? Please help.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
It would be a no-brainer for me. Go for the 24" - the screen is MUCH better quality.

Refurbs are generally exactly like new - with the exception of the box they come in (sometimes). About 75% of the new Apple gear I've bought over the years has actually been a refurb - never had a problem

dn325ci

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I bought this exact same refurb. Pristine when it arrived a few days ago. My machine actually arrived in a better spec than I order, but I don't think you can count on that. A great machine in any case. Save your money with the refurb - you won't regret it.

Don

Matt Dean

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I had the exact decision to make and, because of the video card scenario, I went with a new 2008 24". Couldn't be happier. MAN, this thing is snappy!

I have always had G5's and MacPro's and I thought I would find the iMac a step down. Can't say I see much difference at all. And yes, the screen is gorgeous.

Get the 2008 before they run out - which will be very soon.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I don't usually think like this, but definitely go for the refurb. You've got a bigger screen (and the 24" uses a better panel than the 20"), a faster processor, and better graphics. You can upgrade to 4GB RAM for not much money and it'll be great.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Go for the refurb. I had the exact same decision to make and yesterday got a new cut-price 2008 24in 3.06 Ghz with GT8000 card and it's blinding!

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i'd probably go for the refurb.

cheaper to upgrade RAM immediately and a faster processor makes everyone happy.

not to mention the giant screen.

my girlfriend's mother has the 24" 2008 model and it is SEXY

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I would have to go with the overwhelming consensus here and say get the refurb.

Lexlee

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I just bought the new 24' iMac which is great, but if I had to choose between those two I would get the refurbished. Apple support is great incase something goes wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.