I can't make my mind up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bignacboy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bignacboy macrumors newbie

Hi all, first post but have lurked for a while!

I am in a bit of a difficult spot, and need some advice!

A friend has offered me a new, unlocked, jailbroken iPhone (16GB) for 400€ ($535) and I cannot decide whether or not to take him up on the offer.

He got 3 on eBay and has unlocked and jailbroken them himself, but is happy to just charge me what he paid.

STILL, with a new iPhone out in a few months (if you believe the rumours) I kinda feel like even at 400€, I would be overpaying. I am presuming that any subsequent iPhones would also be available on Prepaid / PAYG contracts since carrier in many countries have already started offering the 3G on such deals? Or do people think the new iPhone will be contract-only? Cos contract would put me right off.

I am also unsure how whether I would be able to upgrade to 3.0 software on an unlocked phone, or whether I would have issues.

AAAAAARRRRRGH!!! :confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it were me I wouldn't want to be paying out that much when I know there is a new one right around the corner.

3. bignacboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am torn. Reckon O2 will do the new one on PAYG as well? I live in Germany where PAYG is not an option, but could buy in the UK and get it unlocked I am thinking.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I would assume the new one would be on the same plan set up as the 3G, although the first one was unsubsidized and the 3G wasn't so there is always a possibility of change. (Carrier dependent of course)

If I were you I would wait.. it is around 2 months away now..give or take a few days. If a new one doesn't appear then unlocked 3Gs will obviously still be around. If a new one does appear then most likely you will be glad you waited.

Like the saying goes "anything worthwhile is worth waiting for".