I cant move files to trash, or delete them in any way

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Decoroso, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Decoroso macrumors newbie

I got my mac a year and a half ago, i switched from an acer. To transfer all of my files over I just pluged one into the other and moved the whole shebang. Now I have a situation, there are all sorts of acer files (like things that helped run the acer) cluttering up my mac. When I try to delete them (with the keyboard) it doesn't do anything, doesn't even make a sound, no pop ups, no nothing. When I move it with my mouse to the trash it says "The item “Acer” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted."

How do I delete this useless and frustrating file.

2. Decoroso thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem isn't that the file is locked, when I get info, i have read only permission, I don't even have a lock that can be unlocked.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read all of that article, including the section, "Do you have correct permissions to modify the file?" and the article it links to?

4. Decoroso thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have been working on this for over an hour, and have read all of that, thats why i'm on here, because those manuals are not helping me.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So the sudo rm -rf commands in Terminal didn't work? Have your rebooted?

6. Decoroso, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

Decoroso thread starter macrumors newbie

They didn't do anything, and yes I have rebooted.
    When I use the sudo command, it just brings up the names of all of the files in the folder.
    And one of the main problems with the manuals is that I cant get the folder into the trash!

This is beyond frustrating.

7. Decoroso, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

Decoroso thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the location of the file the problem (not that I can do anything about it, i cant do anything with the file.
    /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/Users/username/Desktop/Acer

Ok, after fiddling, and well, whatever, I have no idea what changed, but i got all of the files in it deleted, now just the empty folder will not go to the trash, no message, it click delete, type my password and it just goes no where, but makes the trash sound.
    Help?
    It also says on some files i have "unknown access"