I can't open my iPod Touch Package! - Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jewishmacfreak, Sep 16, 2008.

1. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Obviously they're "cutting cost" and "increasing profit" but quotes "trying to be green" as an excuse. Mac & iPod packaging used to be very extravagant and the unboxing experience was 10x more exciting than these new generation packaging.

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Plastic is actually more easily recycled. The ink to print the cardboard is what makes it non-recyclable. It was also to differenciate the new models from all the old ones still in the retail chain.

3. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

this post has been edited becuase macrumors people cannot take jokes

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

A highly constructive post - thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

It's funny, I just bought a 2G Touch last night and was wondering why it was so hard to open ...

5. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

I was wary of applying force to get the touch out of the plastic holder, I didn't want it flying across the room!
    I carefully pried it free and then took the cleaning cloth to it to get rid of my mucky finger prints:).

6. Chozo macrumors member

Technically, using paper products than plastic products is greener, so if that's their angle, that make no sense at all. The 1G iPod Touch boxes were actually really well made and thought out, not to mention greener.

7. NY10940 macrumors newbie

I'm glad to hear to hear that I'm not the only one that hates these new plastic boxes Apple has decided to package nearly all of their new iPods in.

The old cardboard packaging for Apple's iPod line were sleek, elegant, and sophisticated looking while the new plastic boxes look ugly and cheap.

I could understand Apple wanting to cut corners with the cheaper iPods such as the shuffle...

But I don't expect to be handed the short end of the stick when I spend over $230 on one of their products.

The new white cardboard boxes Apple has decided to package the new iPod Classics in are 10x better looking than what they decided to do for the iPod touch.

I also don't like how Apple decided to cut corners again and only provide a measly cloth to protect the screen sensitive iPod touch.

There's no way the iPod touch is safe from the scratches with that cloth.

Luckily I have the old iPod pouch Apple used to provide customers with when I bought my old iPod video.

I hope Apple won't continue to be so stingy because a lot of times the little things they decide to leave out can matter a lot.

8. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

It took me 10 minutes to remove the clamp that holds the last gen nano. It didn't occur to me to bend it away toward the back. Don't feel stupid. I didn't want to damage it either especially because it wasn't mine.

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I think they should have kept the cardboard box on the touch like they did with the classic and plastic for the shuffle and nano. I loved the 1st gen box and still used it till this day!

10. emsmythe macrumors newbie

I don't feel so stupid now

I had the same problem -- I can't believe I had to find a forum just to open my Nano

11. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

lol, it would be funny if someone got injured trying to open it then sued apple.

The packaging is dreadful. :apple:

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes it is.
    Well it is really easy once you figure it out.
    But if you don't take the plastic off of the screen then you're screwed.
    I almost broke my iPod touch twice because of this... I didn't know you had to take the screen cover off.
    And twice because one for my first 2G iPod touch and another for my second 2G iPod touch since my first had a dead pixel.
    Yes, I was that dumb that I forgot how to do it the second time, although I don't remember having to take off the plastic the first time.

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this was the first ipod packaging that i just don't like. It worked very well for the shuffle, but for a £290 ipod? apple you must be joking:rolleyes:

14. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

The Environment or Profit - take your pick :rolleyes:

15. Injured macrumors newbie

Opps, sorry that when first posting on the topic, I did not post to the correct thread (maybe it should have been posted here), but go to the link below to read about my experience of ending up with bleeding fingers from the IPod Touch inner package:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6820902#post6820902 :mad:

16. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

I got a new 16Gb touch today and it was a piece o cake to open it. no trouble here.:D i suppose i'm enlightened? :p either way, now my touch has the anti-glare film on it from power support and it works magic. but yes, i have heard the stories of the dreaded new packaging.

17. b1bomber macrumors newbie

Arrogant a**holes at Appl

Once again, the arrogant a**holes at Apple are trying to be so damn cool they forget all about user friendliness. How many Apple products have to come with zero instruction, zero manuals, zero assistance in getting started? All for the sake of seeming cool?

This one frustrated me no end. I damn near took a hammer to the shell and pounded it open.

The answer lies in peeling away the INVISIBLE (cool! yeah!) sticker that no one can possibly see. Once that's peeled away the case will pop open.

Nice job, Apple package designers. Next time you can make it REALLY impossible to open one of your devices, instead of just NEARLY impossible. Thanks for nothing.

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I wonder if the next-gen models will be as hard to open.

*Hint Apple?* :(

19. 6daniels macrumors member

lol when i got mine i was freaked out to open it too but i read the instructions on the back of it. :p thanks for giving me a laugh today

20. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Im sorry but this has got to be one the most amusing threads on macrumors.

21. TempeB macrumors newbie

I still have the black cardboard box my first ipod came in (the 1st gen Nano-which I lost :() and the plastic box my current 2nd gen Nano came in. I have to agree the cardboard box is nicer to look at.

BTW, don't worry about my "old" technology:D- I have just bought myself a Touch and am waiting for it to arrive at the store i ordered it from. The only reason I'm not waiting for the 3rd gen is because I use the receipt/certificate from the prize I drew from the company anniversary celebreation (worth about $300US (I'm in Taiwan) to trade into for the Touch instead of the original prize. the certificate has a deadline on it and I was afraid the new gen wouldn't be out in time to use it. Hey it was practically free, so why not? (Prices here haven't reached US prices-they're still at the 1st gen prices- and that's on sale).:apple:

22. Sandtoad macrumors newbie

Thanks

I just received my iPod Touch 32GB. I was going crazy. I was so scared of breaking it, so did a search and found this forum. Apple needs to put instructions regarding all the sticky stuff. Thanks again.

23. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

did you bend the battery inside the ipad when yanking it out? There are two batteries inside. Runtime might get cut in half if so.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you're confused. The post you quoted is from 2008, long before the iPad was released. And if the batteries did get split down the middle I don't think the iPad would even turn on. The iPad doesn't even come in a plastic case does it?

25. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Nokia did that for review units of the N900 - after hacking the big box it came in it slid open to reveal the device in a dramatic cloud of smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKL7To6VbM