I can't partition hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anpippin, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Anpippin macrumors newbie

Hi I can't partition my hard drive in disk utility because I get this error partition failed could not modify partition map, and I tried the repair disk and I repaired my hard drive and I still get the error, and I can't repair it again because it just says my hard drive is ok and doesn't need to be repaired. Any way to fix this?

2. Anpippin thread starter macrumors newbie

It's my hdd.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Ok let me make sure I understand. Your Mac is bootable from your main HDD but you want to wipe it anyway by partitioning it? "Could not modify partition map" sounds like you are trying to delete the partition you just booted from. It's bad enough you are asking the OS to point a bazooka at your forehead but you are upset that when you reach up and pull the trigger it doesn't say OK BOSS, ALL WIPED CLEAN, I forget everything, just like you tell me to, NO MORE BOOTING FOR YOU! No data either. :eek:

Partitioning is something you should never do to a drive you booted from unless you are using Windows. Sorry I couldn't resist. :p

Ok so now I'm going to show you how to remove the safety catch so the bazooka will fire. By now I hope I've talked you out of it but here are the steps nonetheless...

1 - Insert any OS X install DVD
    2 - Boot from it
    3 - When the install screen comes up go to file->disk utility
    4 - Pick your internal HDD. It should be set up as 1 partition (unless you are running Lion and there's a recovery partition).
    5 - THINK
    6 - Think some more and while you are thinking, ask yourself if all your data is backed up.
    7 - Pick your HDD and select the new partition scheme you would like and hit apply.
    8 - It's too late now. You've just wiped your internal HDD and succeeded in doing what I warned you against. There's nothing to do now but return to the OS X install and let it install OS X to the partition you just created.

These same steps apply if you boot from the Lion recovery partition, you just don't have to fumble with the OS X DVD.

So you read through this post and decided you didn't need to partition after all. Whew. Good job. Now about that whole repair disk thing. If it says it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless you are having trouble booting or something).

Perhaps I could provide a more useful answer if you explain why you are messing with your disk in the first place. What is the problem you are trying to correct? What led you to decide you needed to partition?

4. Anpippin thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoa...hold on there. I don't want to erase or format my hdd. I just want to create an extra partition. I'm still gonna keep my other partition. I just want one extra partition to put something on.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Whew. I'm so glad I misunderstood. If I had seen the word resize anywhere in your OP, I wouldn't have overreacted.

Sorry I can't confirm what this guy suggests. Every time I've used disk utility to create partitions, I have intended to wipe and start over and I have observed that it would always format new partitions I create. I also found an article at about.com that agrees with these suggestions, that there is a way in Disk Utility to nondestructively resize a partition. Perhaps the reason you got the error message is because you were about to wipe the partition rather than resize it.

6. jupiter14 macrumors newbie

I login here just to resolve this issue , thanks thread started , and thank you all .... i will now try again