I can't port my number from Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leapingfrog, Jul 13, 2010.

1. leapingfrog macrumors newbie

I'm a new AT&T customer, coming over from Verizon and would really like to keep my existing phone number. I called AT&T's porting department last night and was told they cannot port my number over because my number is from an area where AT&T does not have service (my number is originally from Southwest Minnesota, where I used to live -- AT&T is pretty much non-existant in the area). I'm told they need an address, in that area, that has AT&T service.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Is there any way I can get my number ported?

Thank you,
    Andrew

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Not common, but does happen. Based on the number they assume that you would be roaming since you are out of service area, which in the long run is trouble. Now if you moved to a area that has AT&T coverage that is fine, however they will never know that beucase Verzion has associated that number with your old area. You can have verzion update the switch records, and goo luck with that.

3. reaborg macrumors member

Just look at AT&T coverage map and find a location that has your area code with AT&T coverage. They only need a zip code however if the ask, just find an address, any address, and give them that.

4. leapingfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to find an area code where AT&T has coverage, however, I was told by AT&T they need an area code and a prefix that matches my phone. So, in my case, 507-227. I'm told there's no AT&T service in that area.

5. bholaladka macrumors regular

they are giving you a hard time for no reason.
    - they will need an address to "trick" the system to think you are porting a number to the same market..

your best bet is to go to a corporate store. The pros there can help you out. :D

6. leapingfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that's what AT&T is trying to tell me... they are unable to "trick" the system into porting to that market because there is not AT&T service in that market.

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

They are not trying to give you a hard time, the Porting Activation team is not out to get you. This is called Local Number Portability. You can only port a number from a local area.

Not all numbers are eligible to be ported, you can even check using the tool here: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

The ZIPCODE is the key to the whole process. You can also learn more about the process here: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

Dave

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Why would you want to keep a number from Southwest Minnesota? That's not exactly a prestigious area.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Perhaps because it's his home and it's a number that everyone he knows already has on hand?

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

And on the flip-side (besides what I said), it's very awkward to have in a new area.

11. leapingfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

You got it!