Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I just bought a new Imac last week with latest software updates, and tried to print up a Christmas newsletter I prepared on Pages, but it only comes out in black and white. My printer is a HP 970 cxi. Does anyone know if this is compatible? Ive been to HP site and updated drivers, called my local Apple re-seller and no-one can help me. Is there anyone here who can help? I desperately need to print in colour quickly! Thank you.

Canadian47

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Same problem with my printer

I'm having the same issue with my printer. Its an HP 5550 inkjet printer. Just recently inserted a new colour cartridge and the test print same out ok, but when I tried to print using my new iMac it comes out in black and white.

Is this the same issue that the printer is too old?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I'm having the same issue with my printer. Its an HP 5550 inkjet printer. Just recently inserted a new colour cartridge and the test print same out ok, but when I tried to print using my new iMac it comes out in black and white.

Is this the same issue that the printer is too old?

Yep, appears is on that list. The test print will print in color just the OS drivers aren't aren't going to relay that info to communicate back and forth thus why they state they're not compatible.

jghaines

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
HP dropped support for many printers, but...

HP have an official list of HP Printers Not Supported in Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X v10.7 Lion, or OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion.

Apple provides an HP Driver Bundle for Mountain Lion (and earlier), so if your printer is in there, you are in luck.

I managed to get myt Deskjet 5550 printing in Black and White (only) by using the "Generic PCL Laser Printer" driver that comes with v10.8 Mountain Lion.

If you are happy to install 3rd party, open source software, another good option is CUPS+Gutenprint driver that can be installed as part of Gimp-Print. This allowed me to color print to my HP Deskjet 5550 from v10.8 Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.