I cant put win8 in my pendrive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by b738, Aug 13, 2013.

1. b738 macrumors member

Hello. I want to install win8 in my Macbook air but the first problem that I find is that in the apple website it says that the pendrive must have a FAT format, but if i format my 16gb pendrive to FAT32, then it doesn't let me put it in. So what do I have to do?

Another question that i have is regarding the difference between EFI mode and the standard one. Could someone explain? I just want to use windows when necessary for my uni purposes. Thank you very much!

2. b738 thread starter macrumors member

3. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

I am assuming that you have already downloaded the Win 8 iso file. In order to create a bootable USB drive, you have to "burn" the iso to the USB and a simple copy and paste won't work at all. It's much easier to do this on a Windows machine since there are programs such as ISO to USB could easily handle it. If you want to do it on a Mac, here is a guide on how to do it and you have to use terminal commands to accomplish it. Also check out this thread if you want to find out how other people deal with it on a Mac.

In my opinion, using a Windows computer and ISO to USB to do it is probably the least painful way, but your mileage may vary.

4. drayon macrumors 6502

yeah try this dude

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-usbdvd/bd21e76d-5174-4f76-8db5-36df105a12c5

Sometimes if your USB stick has something in its MBR you might get the error
    Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool error: We were unable to copy your files.*Please*check*your USB device and the selected ISO file and try again.
    You have to start*command*prompt as an Administrator (On*Windows 7*that means right clicking the cmd and selecting Run as Administrator) and use the diskpart utility.

WARNING: Be careful to select the right drive or else your day won’t have a happy end because if you select the wrong drive you will lose all your data on this drive!

Instead of formatting the partition with FAT32, you can also use NTFS (like WUDT does), but then you need an extra step to make the drive bootable:
    Bootsect.exe /nt60 X:
    “X:” is the drive letter of your USB stick. Bootsect.exe can be found on the Windows 7 DVD in the boot folder. However, I can’t really recommend using NTFS. Some USB stick, at least, appeared to be slower with NTFS.
    1. Start*command*prompt as Administrator and type**diskpart*
    2. type**list disk
    3. type*select disk**and*number*of your USB disk ( like*select disk 1*)
    4. type**clean
    5. type**create partition primary
    6. type**select partition 1
    7. type**active
    8. type**format quick fs=fat32
    9. type**assign
    10. type*exit**to exit the diskpart utility
    11. type*exit**to close*command*prompt

5. b738 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much! I will try this later on.

And what's the difference between EFI and the regular one? Thanks!

6. drayon macrumors 6502

The machine will boot up super fast on in EFI install. EFI or UEFI is a replacement of the ancient PC BIOS. Mac's have an EFI firmware (but it ins't compliant with the latest UEFI 2.1 version) but dumb MS OS's like XP, Vista and 7 (32 bit) all need to be installed using BIOS and using the old fashion Master Boot Record disk partition map. So the Mac creates an emulated BIOS environment to install these OS's in this BIOS mode. The result is that Windows takes a very long time to boot up and you'll see a black screen with a flashing underline cursor until it can get to the desktop. A native EFI install of the 64 Bit versions of newer Windows OS's like Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 boot super fast and the disk partition scheme is the modern GUID AKA GPT. Unfortunately, as mentioned the EFI in Mac's is not the current UEFI 2.1 spec and thus there are many complications of getting this working correctly. I've been able to get a EFI install of Win 8 on my 2009 Mac Pro but for some reason no-one can seem to answer, the machine refuses to use the video driver of the graphics card and this result sin a black screen. There is a way to removed the graphics card manufacturers driver so that forces Windows to use MS's standard display driver but there is no accelerations which make it pointless and useless. There are some reports of the very latest Macs of having some success here but the reports are sketchy and unreliable.

Believe me, there is a HUGE difference the time it takes an OS to get to the desktop between a normal BIOS install and an EFI, seriously, on my Mac Pro with the SSD drives it takes about 5 seconds to the desktop, where as the BIOS install of Win 7 takes over a minute. This is frustrating when setting up a system with all the rebots that windows needs.