I cant read PDFs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by backtothefuture, Sep 3, 2009.

1. backtothefuture macrumors member

Downloaded Adobe Reader 9. I was able to "download" documents but they would never show up- all I saw was a black background in the window. Trashed Reader 9, downloaded it all over again, same problem. Any help?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you using a Mac? If so, what operating system are you running (10.4, 10.5)?

Also, Mac OS X can read PDFs without any 3rd party software using an application called Preview. Check to make sure that Preview is set as the default for reading PDFs. You can do this by right-clicking (or command + click) on the PDF document, clicking "Get Info", then expanding the "Opens With" section and selecting "Preview" from the drop down list.

3. backtothefuture thread starter macrumors member

Yes, using a Mac. 10.4, and I made sure to download the PowerPC and 10.4 version. Thank you for the tips. Any other advice as to why Adobe isnt working?

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm not sure. I've never used Adobe Reader with my Mac, only Preview.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why are you using Adobe reader? YUCK

Just use Preview.

6. backtothefuture thread starter macrumors member

I didnt know Preview could read PDFs. Excuse my horrible ignorance. How do I set Preview as the default for reading PDFs?

7. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Click once on a .PDF file. press CMD+I (I'm not sure if this works on 10.4)
    Or right click on .PDF file, and go to Get Info.
    In the Info window, Click on the drop down box that should have Adobe Reader in it, and select Preview. Then press the Change All button underneath.

Of course. I have never used 10.4. Just going on that it "should" be similar to Leopard.

On a side note, Acrobat 9 Pro seems to open password protected PDF's. Without the Password.

8. HMoore macrumors newbie

Preview doesn't always work :(

We are pretty new to our MiniMac. Love everything about it-until now. I have something that must be opened by Adobe reader v.9. I have tried it without installing the Adobe reader. All I get are grey pages in Preview. I have never needed anything that wasn't already part of our Mac aside from Firefox for a few websites. I tried to install Adobe reader v.9. They do not have a version that will work with my OS (10.5.8). So now what will I do? This is our only computer and I must be able to read these pages.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

When I tried to download by going directly to Adobe's site, it stated up to 10.4 for the OS. I checked for a download from CNet site, redirect to Adobe site, then said 10.5.7. I decided to try it anyway. After opening the readme when download/install was complete it stated there 10.5.8. I wish they(Adobe) could have all of the correct information up front and save some of us the frustration.
    Just wanted to put all of that on here in case anyone else had the same need/problem. FYI--Adobe is not my default. Only using it for the specific series of PDFs requiring it. Preview (and everything else on our Mini) ROCKS!!!!