I can't recover my macbook. Help Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LindenT, Dec 26, 2013.

1. LindenT macrumors newbie

I tried recovering my macbook t Mountain Lion because my Mavericks sucks, apps keeps crashing. So i wanted to recover my mac back to Mountain Lion because that's what it came with pre-installed. But it seems the recovery partition won't install the OS, It says : "The OS X installation couldn't be completed." Then it shuts down completely. I tried the Internet Recovery too, when it downloads till the last part, then a sign comes and gets stuck. Any help guys on what to do?....Also i wanted to ask if my time machine backup will restore with my apps on the mac when i recover it back to Mountain Lion......Thanks

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Mavericks is a good OS. I recommend reinstalling it. There is no need to downgrade.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds like you have a corrupted recovery partition. I would wipe the drive and start all over again. However, like it was said earlier, why are you trying to downgrade? Mavericks has been working beautifully over here. It really seems to be the "next Snow Leopard". I would have first figured out what caused the crashes, but since you started to wipe the drive that isn't an option. Have you tried running a hardware test to see if ailing hardware caused the crashes?

You can try wiping the drive with an external utility completely, then use CMD OPT R to use Internet Recovery. However, if that fails it may be time for a trip to Apple to either download the OS over a very stable connection or for a Genius Bar appointment.

4. LindenT thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i checked my hardware everything works good, check drive, everything works. But seems the OS needs a repair.
    So can i download the Mavericks from my app store, then drag the app to my External Hard Drive?....Then format the mac completely then install it back, with a bootable USB?.... Hope that fixes the problem?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You have to create a bootable drive from another Mac or through a working partition on your laptop. You need the OS installer and a copy of DiskMaker X to create a USB drive. Completely format the hard drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then install the new OS to the fresh drive. You cannot simply copy the installer app to a drive and expect for it to boot.

6. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Here's how to create bootable install thumb Drive:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/23/create-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/

And here is how to do a clean install:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/26/clean-install-os-x-mavericks/